Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 01:25:34 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

baseball and other sports

Started by gene, October 11, 2012, 02:09:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 11, 2012, 02:09:56 pm Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:12:50 pm by gene
The Cincinnati Reds just clutched defeat from the jaws of victory. They are done for the season.

I don't watch sports like I used to. I just don't find it that interesting. Maybe too much of the same old same old? I've  also gotten turned off by how much it has all become about money - especially how much tax dollars have been spent and continue to be spent on a bunch of millionaires. Sports are political and money driven just like anything else, I guess.

Why should congress continue to give major league sports their monopoly and anti trust exemptions? Let's open sports to the same free enterprise system us upholsterers have to play by.

Does anyone care that Lance Armstrong got his strong legs from drugs? For those who followed his 7 wins in the Tour de France, do you care how he did it? He found a way to win, and won. His winning was exciting at the time.

I grew up watching Alex Karris play for Detroit. His death at 77 was sad to hear about.

I've heard people say that sports are the peoples' new religion. That certainly seems to be true for many folks.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Last year, the Rangers broke my sporty-sport heart  like it's never been broke before.
I promised myself that I would never get that emotionally invested again.
And when they made a quick exit from the playoffs this year, it was a sense of relief similar to when a loved one who is wasting away from cancer finally passes.

Sorry to hear about the Reds. I always root for smaller market teams. Maybe the A's can show the world that it doesn't take a $200 million payroll to play good ball.

When I was a kid, the average length of a baseball game was around 2 1/2 hours. Now, you're lucky if a game comes in  under 4 hours. It's all about the money.
Attendance, and TV revenue is at an all-time high. So I guess they know what they're doing.

But like you, all of the major sports start feeling like the same old same old. My sports weenie just doesn't vibrate like it used to.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I find most sports pretty boring.   Baseball leading in the scale.   I think the only thing more boring than watching baseball on  TV is listening to it on radio.   Lots of dead air time covering dead action on field.  You can't even see guys spit and scratch themselves.   That said, I did watch the 4 World Series games that the Reds won in 1990.   I think that's the extent of my baseball on TV for more than a passing minute.

Golf - boring.   Hockey and Soccer - lots of action, not much results. 

Football, a little better, especially in the stadium for a major team (like OSU Buckeyes).

Women's beach volleyball, I can watch.  Don't know why it holds my attention.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

scottymc

Try cricket, 5 day tests ::)

Spose they call it a test cause it would be a test to watch the whole thing. Or for me any of it, hate it with a passion.

kodydog

Hay Mojo, what about them Tigers?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

Gotta love those Motown pussycats. I spent many an evening as a kid at Tiger Stadium with my Dad. Loved the Tigers. :)

I cannot watch baseball anymore. I find it boring. I do watch football now and then but try and stay clear of it. I retired from coaching football 3 years ago ( offensive coordinator for a varsity team ) and I start getting the bug again to go back and coach at the high school whenever I watch football.

I guess the thing that turns me off about Pro sports these days are the salaries. $ 30 million dollar contracts for one player ? None of them are worth it. Taxpayers helping to pay for millionaires football stadiums ? Then 5 or 10 years down the road they threaten to leave town unless they get more tax breaks. Give me a break.

In regards to golf.......I would rather watch paint dry then watch a golf tournament.

Chris

scottymc

I've watched glue dry countless times ;D