Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:56:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Opinions on another machine

Started by Moparman, October 29, 2012, 01:37:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparman

I am looking at a 30" long arm machine w/reverse, Juki LG-158 single needle with nice table, new motor and has some features that use compressed air.  I'm not too familiar with long arms or the compressed air features but I have always wanted a long arm.  Its about 10-12 years old.  I have a Juki 1541 and love it.  Any opinions on this particular one or long arms in general?  I can get it for around $3,000.

Thanks

Bryan

needles eye

October 29, 2012, 08:47:19 pm #1 Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:21:14 pm by needles eye
sounds good

inspection a must
may have beaute du diable (Fr.), that overpowing beauty for the sake of which men fling everything away
check it's been reguraly serviced
compressed air is for the auto foot lift and it may have auto trim too, check it out
air has proved more reliable than electrical components over time
the long arm is pretty handy, see link below
note that the LG-158 is a twin needle job,
the LG 158-1 single needle
lotsa guys use a twin needle as a single needle anyway
one can get a decent brand new chinese long arm clone for $3k - $5k
however clones are not really in the same league as the origonal Juki
this one probably made in China by Juki and not from Japan as the older models

http://www.allbrands.com/products/2500-juki-lg-158-1-single-needle-30-longarm-walking-foo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E_orHzBd7w

errata
go for it

good luck
mark

l luv mopar
had the 317 fireball in a chrysler drifter panelvan, and, it purred

scott_san_diego

I just bought a used Juki 2210N-6 machine from a company in Texas,  that has all the same features you describe. Auto back tack, thread cutter, foot lifter.  Your hands never have to leave your work, everything is controlled by the foot pedal or knee controller.  It is nice not having to grab for the scissors any more while sewing. It is a great machine and is worth the money I spent on it.
  One thing you want to check on a older machine like this is the oil lines if it is self oiling. 
I had the machine shipped to me from Texas to San Diego.  I started using the machine, it ran great and then two days later I looked at the oil collection bottle that is connected to the bottom side of the pan and it was full of oil, tilted the machine back and one of the oil lines was broken.  In further inspection all of the lines have crystallized and gone bad.  In the process now in finding someone to replace all the lines.

Scott