Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 29, 2024, 01:18:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Binding Preferences 3/4 vs 1"

Started by Highvelocity, September 28, 2012, 07:28:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Highvelocity

I currently have a sailrite 3/4 binder...it works ok.  It seems sailrite really pushes the 1' inch binding...

I think the zig zag will work better with the 3/4 now that I have that option.

The biggest problem I have is that the material edge doesn't always get all the way in there and I miss a few inches and have to go back and fix it.  Or the binding will roll up and I will miss on the bottom... 

Opinions:  on 3/4 vs 1" ??  and zig zag vs straight...??

Ed
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

scarab29

1" and the fold away right angle binder works for me. Got it from greg @ keystone . Used it at mcti school on the same consew I have and worked much better than the 3/4 straight feed binder. Not cheap but the best thing i found. On gregs site in the walking foot parts page.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike

September 28, 2012, 09:42:27 am #2 Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:45:17 am by MikeM8560
O like the 3/4" and have used it for years. I have had you issue of imissing somtimes lut in the long run i like the look better and when i had to ad more csnvas ie a camper bsck go existing canvas it alway what the oem used. I do have a 1" binder or (folder) for when 1" is the only size i cAn get.
I also used to make snap on carpet a bit and would. Ind the edge with 1" as it was thicker material
Trying to bind.
Ps and when doing a u zipper i sew teo 3/4" binding side by side outside of the wondow hoding the zipper a d 2 3/4" binding tapes = the 1 1/2" eide zipper tape.

fragged8

we dont have all the nice pre-made bindings you guys get
so i use 7/8 sunbrella center fold binding

timtheboatguy

I have three different binders for 3/4 and I hate them all! so I do all binding without a binder and use the 3/4 Aqualon binding.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mojo

I have the Sailrite 1 " fold away binder and us it pretty much exclusively. I have used the 3/4 inch binding and hated it. It is too easy to get slippage and miss the bottom piece and have to go back and fix it.

I am going to be needing to get a new binder soon. My Sailrite binder fell on the floor and I rolled over it with my chair and it got bent to heck. I got all the dents out of it and readjusted it but it has never fed right since.

I will have to check with Greg and see if he has the Sussei brand fold away binder that Sailrite sells and also see if his price is competitive with Sailrites. I wont own another brand as I have had awesome luck with the Sussei binder and I love the price. If I can support a sponsor of this forum I will.

Chris

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on September 30, 2012, 05:21:35 am
My Sailrite binder fell on the floor and I rolled over it with my chair and it got bent to heck.
Chris

I was trying to drink coffee man. You need that on you tube   Il bet there was some colorfull words.
Ive been there droped mine a d had to resolder the plate. Didnt roll on it though. ;)

Mojo

The language was very colorful. :)

Chris

Grebo

I have a few binders I have tried & consigned to the bottom draw.
The only one that I can get on with is the sailrite one for 1" which also works ok for 7/8"
I now make a lot of my own binding cos like Rich we can't get all the goodies you guys can off the shelf.

I bought two sizes from the mcti 1" & 3/4" they just don't like the bindings I have, should be perfect if I ever start stitching frocks though.  :P

Suzi

Highvelocity

I am glad to hear I am not the only one with 3/4 binder issue's.  I will give Greg a call and see what he has available.

Mojo,  I have a mental image of myself rolling over mine and I am laughing, because I know I could have done the same thing...hahaha.
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

Mojo

Greg sells two types I believe. One is very high dollar and the other is cheaper. Tell him you want the Sussei. It is made in Japan and is of very high quality. I do believe he has these. They are the same ones Sailrite sells.

Chris

scarab29

http://store.keysew.com/sewing-parts-and-accessories/460-custom-angle-binder

this is the one I like best so far !! Greg set it up for my consew before he shipped it , I screwed it down and went at it ! I see he has one for the zig zags too.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.