Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 03:31:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A couple "first sewing machine" questions

Started by BobbyD, September 09, 2012, 02:32:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BobbyD

Hi.  I am looking to get into upholstery, and have found this board to be full of good information and discussion.

Been pondering getting a sewing machine.  Have done quite a bit of research here and elsewhere, so I have a pretty good grasp of what the preferred brands and models are.  Just looking to get some more in-depth info about a couple of possibilities I am considering:

1.  The infamous "portable walking foot machine".  I gather that all the different brands of these are essentially the same?  I had been considering the consew cp 206.  But it seems this may be the same as the tuffsew, thompson, etc, all of which seem to cause a lot of headaches?  I am going to be getting into the trade pretty slowly, upholstering freeby and cheapy pieces I pick up in my spare time and then trying to get some of my money back selling them on CL or elsewhere.  Would a portable machine be worth it for my needs?  Would I still have use for it when I upgraded to a proper industrial machine?

2.  Alternatively, I have found an ad on CL for an old singer 111g157 for $300 that is said to be in good working condition.  This is a compound feed machine, but not a walking foot; i.e., it is needle-feed and drop-feed.  How would something like this work for upholstery?  Better or worse than a portable?

I suspect the answer to both of these will be to simply go with a legit industrial walking foot, but I figured I would see if there are alternative opinions.  I am planning on calling Bob Kovar and/or Greg at Keystone to see what they might have available as well. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

MinUph

Quote from: BobbyD on September 09, 2012, 02:32:35 pm
I am planning on calling Bob Kovar and/or Greg at Keystone to see what they might have available as well. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

That's a good idea. Have fun.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

From what I've seen, those portable machines aren't all that much cheaper than a good used full size walking foot machine. I realize that you're just dabbling right now, and don't know yet whether or not you want to invest a lot of money.

But look at it this way. If you invest $500-$800 on a used walking foot and then decide that you don't want to do this type of work, you can re-sell the machine for what you paid for it.
No harm....no foul. It's like money in the bank. And it might serve your needs indefinately.
With a portable, it's just a matter of time before you'll want to upgrade.
I've never understood why anyone would want a portable for any reason other than a final "on-site" alteration/repair.

As for that 111G 157 that you're considering. It's not the ideal machine, but it's probably still better than a portable.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BobbyD

Thanks for the replies.

This just confirms me in what I was already leaning toward.  I don't want to have any regrets, and although I am limited by time/space/financial constraints, I am going into this whole hog, and I would much rather spend more to get a machine that will work optimally for me than spend $300 that isn't going to be worth it.

Mojo

I can tell you that a Tuffsew, Thompson Mini Walker or SailRite machine is NOT anything like a Consew.

When I bought my first machine I got hung up on that " walking foot " tag and made the mistake of buying a Tuffsew. VERY stupid idea on my part. It was junk and caused me more lost time and headaches then I can shake a stick at.

Stick with a walking foot made by Consew, Chandler, Juki or Highlead. They are TRUE upholstery machines and will give you years of trouble free service. Pfaff and Adlers are also awesome but expensive as heck to buy attachments and parts for.

The portables will do nothing but give you headaches right out of the box.

Chris

MinUph

AS a point of reference I bought a new Consew 205rB for around $1000.00 delivered. I felt it was a good price and the machine is very good. A bit less money than a 206RB but as much a machine if you ask me.

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BobbyD

Quote from: MinUph on September 10, 2012, 03:52:31 pm
AS a point of reference I bought a new Consew 205rB for around $1000.00 delivered. I felt it was a good price and the machine is very good. A bit less money than a 206RB but as much a machine if you ask me.

From what I gather the only difference between the 205 and the 206 is that the latter has needle-feed, whereas the former does not?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Consew 205RB is a top bottom feed machine, NOT a walking foot.  This means the inside foot is not walking, and the needle is not sweeping with the work as it transports the material.  One thing that's nice is it has a oil pump, but no safety clutch.

These days, IMHO you can do better than this machine in the 1,000 price range, and I sell a lot of Consew, but I do not favor this 205RB model.

MinUph

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on September 11, 2012, 02:38:10 pm
Consew 205RB is a top bottom feed machine, NOT a walking foot.  This means the inside foot is not walking, and the needle is not sweeping with the work as it transports the material.  One thing that's nice is it has a oil pump, but no safety clutch.

These days, IMHO you can do better than this machine in the 1,000 price range, and I sell a lot of Consew, but I do not favor this 205RB model.

Gregg,
  I wish I had known you when I bought this one last year. I'm sure you could have done better for me.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mojo

The 206rb 5 is an absolute workhorse. Rugged and it seems to be the standard for many marine/canvas/auto trim shops. They come up used quite often but are gone in a heartbeat when priced right.

I am not familiar with the 205 but if you ever need a machine for a special project or if your machine goes down Paul you can always borrow my back up, a Juki 563. It is also a workhorse.
If I have it in my shop you can borrow it Paul. :)

Chris

MinUph

Thanks Chris. I have had very good luck with the 205 so-far. Done everything I need it to do. Appreciate the offer as always.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

BobbyD

Well, I have ordered a Singer 111W153 from Bob Kovar with a servo motor for $600 plus shipping.  Looking forward to getting sewing!

sofadoc

Quote from: BobbyD on September 11, 2012, 06:52:29 pm
Well, I have ordered a Singer 111W153 from Bob Kovar with a servo motor for $600 plus shipping.  Looking forward to getting sewing!
Good move. That may just be the last machine you'll ever own. And if you decide that this work isn't for you.......remember what I said earlier.......like having money in the bank.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

Congrats Bobby. There are several people on here who own those Singers and they all seem to take a beating and keep on ticking. I cannot remember reading about that Singer giving up the ghost here. Like Dennis said it will probably be the last machine you will ever buy. Just keep it oiled. :)

I bought my new machine from Bob as well and the level of service he has provided has been amazing. He is always available to help and talk you through problems. His level of patience when dealing with a stitcher who is having issues with their machine is something you can always depend on. Bob and his son Bobby are both straight shooters and great guys to deal with.

Best of luck with your new machine.