Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 12:16:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Most interesting thing found in furniture?

Started by Ageorge, August 29, 2012, 07:38:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

As I was taking off the decking on a sofa today, and noticing all the gross stuff (crumbs, kleenex, etc) that it has accumlated over the years..I got to thinking about some of you folks that have done this for years and wondered what the most intersting thing you found was? I haven't come across anything too crazy, but remember watching an online seminar where the instructor said she cut herself on a  knife wedged in the back of a sofawhile measuring for the fabric. Yikes!

sofadoc

August 29, 2012, 08:09:19 am #1 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:29:44 pm by sofadoc
Once, I was cleaning out the crevices of a sofa when I stabbed my hand on the business end of a syringe. This was back during the heighth of the AIDS pandomonium, so I had a few anxious days after that.

Pocket knives, loose change, and remote controls for the most part. I did rescue 5 batons from a sofa that belonged to a family that had several kids on the high school band/drill team.

My strangest story was when a man called me to come out and fish an engagement ring out of a sofa. He and the lady were childhood sweethearts. Both had married someone else, and 50 years later they found themselves both widowed. So they got back together. Sweet story, right? Then it gets wierd. She was wealthy, he wasn't. He gave her a ring that he couldn't afford, then stole it back from her and returned it. He convinced her that it must be in the sofa, hence I was summoned.

On their honeymoon, she was killed in a mysterious one-car accident. I found out all this later on from the dead woman's sister.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

crammage

Strangest things I ever found were a cow's hoof, a live bullet, and various combs, brushes and other assorted hair stuff. 

I learn early on never to try and feel amound trying to find something in the cracks because you never know how many pins and needles could be just waiting for you.   :o

byhammerandhand

I fold, can't top that one.

Quote from: sofadoc on August 29, 2012, 08:09:19 am
Once, I was cleaning out the crevices of a sofa when I stabbed my hand on the business end of a syringe. This was back during the heighth of the AIDS pandomonium, so I had a few anxious days after that.

Pocket knives, loose change, and remote controls for the most part. I did resue 5 batons from a sofa that belonged to a family that had several kids on the high school band/drill team.

My strangest story was when a man called me to come out and fish an engagement ring out of a sofa. He and the lady were childhood sweethearts. Both had married someone else, and 50 years later they found themselves both widowed. So they got back together. Sweet story, right? Then it gets wierd. She was wealthy, he wasn't. He gave her a ring that he couldn't afford, then stole it back from her and returned it. He convinced her that it must be in the sofa, hence I was summoned.

On their honeymoon, she was killed in a mysterious one-car accident. I found out all this later on from the dead woman's sister.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

August 29, 2012, 04:49:40 pm #4 Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 04:51:52 pm by gene
Those crazy Texans.  ;D

I wish Jeb Bush had stayed in Texas. We'd be looking forward to his second term instead of worrying if Mitt is going to be yet another tax and spend liberal Republican.

I found a diamond ring and lost track of what furniture it came out of. I still have it at my studio. I didn't want to ask anyone because what if someone said it was theirs and I gave it to them, and then someone else called me to ask if I found a diamond ring. No one has asked and I still feel bad about not knowing who's furniture it came out of.

Maybe I'll save the ring in case I get widowed and move to Texas???

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

byhammerandhand

Gene,
That was my ring.  We've been looking everywhere for it.   Will stop by tomorrow and pick it up.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

jojo

I hardly find anything in boat seats, but recently I found a snap setter, the manual kind where you have to hammer the snap....both pieces under the foam. And some vintage chex party mix from the seventies in the same boat.

sofadoc

I thought of another one from a long time ago.
The sofa belonged to a very prominent local minister. The throws of the couch contained a letter from a woman. The contents of the letter indicated that the two were having an affair.
And she was extremely bitter that he chose to stay with his wife. She also accused him of having inappropriate (sexual) contact with her son.
Back then, scandals like that were kept under wraps (we didn't dare go public with that letter). Nowadays, you almost feel remiss if you DON'T tell.

It is interesting to see how the items found in furniture have evolved over the years.
When I first started, it was mostly pocket knives, loose change, and a ton of bottle caps.

Now, it's outdated electronics, expired debit cards, and a mountain of Pokemon crap.

And ALL those McDonald's "Happy Meal" toys. I swear, if Ronald himself just came to your house and crammed the toys into your couch, they wouldn't get there any faster.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

The guy who strips furniture in the shop I work for found an I phone in a armless sofa we did for a lounge called the Vault. Late night type of place. The phone was owned by a girl and on it were messages of drug (cocaine) deals and her lucid affairs. She also sent a message to her own phone saying, "whoever stole my phone is a real @ss h*** and if I ever catch you, you will wish you were dead." He is trying to decide what to do with it. We have many creative ideas.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html