Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 11:27:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I hate "I have to talk to my wife"

Started by Mike, August 20, 2012, 07:47:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Inised to have a friend a old timer who would get real upset with theese types.
Hed say whos bost is it anyway.
Today i seeing some pontoon upholstery and i get a call a guy sould mike s pri e cor amcover on his new used boat. So i said ok i can be there in a 1/2 hour. 
So i drive about 5 mile over the bridge across the harbor to see him i give a price for the job and inget the usual well i have to ralk to my wife now she was in a different room when he said this never came iut to the boat just hid inside. Ill have to talk to her and ill call you tomorow. He says.
Now when i had m shop up on a lake innever had this a customer came to me with his wide in the boat and decided on the spot so i drive back and just as i get back fo my place i get a. Call   We want to go ahead otder it up. I said well ill have to write up a contract and get a deposite   So i had to drive back later and wayste more time when i could have been sewing. I ended up working late to make it up.

JDUpholstery

at least they called back, round here "I have to talk to my wife" means "Ohh, that's expensive, but I don't want to look cheap so I will blame the wife later"!

Mike

Thats true JD. Inget that copout too  ut somfimds i just fell like " well lets just drag her out  here then.

Peppy

Quote from: JDUpholstery on August 20, 2012, 07:56:16 pm
at least they called back, round here "I have to talk to my wife" means "Ohh, that's expensive, but I don't want to look cheap so I will blame the wife later"!

Totally. I've still got the Filthy Oar for sale on the front lawn, I've had a bunch of interested guys by but it's always "talk to my wife". Although there was a wife by who really liked it but had to "talk to her husband". There was a guy two nights ago who had his wife but she was not at all impressed that hubby wanted a boat. I'm on vacation this week so I'm going to advertise it a bit.

To tell the truth though, I have to clear large purchases with my wife too. But I would do that long before I called a contractor to the house.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Mojo

I always have to consult with my wife on purchases. Mainly because she is the one who has all the money.

She handles all money matters and controls the purse strings in the business and personal lives and it is a damn good thing she does. We would have been bankrupt if I handled everything. I am horrible with money and I readily admit it. I have her give me a two week allowance and most times I have most of it 4 weeks later. I rarely go anywhere and I only spend money on line.

But obviously she is not too hard on me with what I want to buy. I have a woodshop stuffed full of tools and she has never turned down my request to buy something. Well, there was that young Latino Maid I wanted to hire that she balked at. :)

She has a Masters degree in Math education so I know when I am outclassed and outgunned. I let her handle the money matters and I am betting there are alot of husbands who do the same thing. Heck I cannot tell you for sure how much our electric bill is each month. I stay out of the finances.

When it comes to math and finances she is hell on wheels. She rocks it out.

Chris

Mike

I Agree peppy youd think they would talk it over before they call me.
Say we need a. Over it will probly be About x$  so ket call a guy out and if it in that ballpark do it but they dont.
When i was maried it i needed somthing for the bost if iit was a modest cost i got it.  Perhaps thats why im divorced.

SHHR

Just quoted a RV to do the couches and dining seat pads. All new foam and material. I took my sample book of fabric to pick out a suitable color and pattern. He got his wife involved in this process and told her to pick the fabric because no matter what he'll be wrong and he would just write the check when done. After she picked out a fabric (retail $33 yd) she went back to mowing the lawn then he said "ok how much for just new foam  in this existing fabric"? I told him just as much. His old cusions (circa 1980s) look decent but I will run into nothing but trouble fitting new foam, buttons tufted through the front and back, seams are pulling in some areas. When all was said and done I ended up selling the whole shooting match thanks to the wife this time, instead of her stopping a sale for once.
Kyle

sofadoc

It's different in the furniture biz. It's usually the husband that puts the kabosh on the deal.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

timtheboatguy

I have beat this objection by handing the guy an estimate and then suggest that he kick it around a bit and talk it over with his wife. This takes the pressure off and more often than not he will usually say "I don't need to, go ahead and do the work".

Not sure why but this has seemed to work for me.

http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Mike

Tim imsay that also somtimes
Afger i give a price there is that akward silenc, do i bresk it with   Talk  itovet eith your wife and let me know. Thanks for calling.  But usualy they wait. Perhaps your guys dont want to look ____whiped   Snd make the decision. 
I loke that kyle. She said yes then went out and mowed the lawn! 

gene

August 22, 2012, 02:44:02 pm #10 Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:45:43 pm by gene
Back in my sales days I was trained that when a man says he needs to talk to his wife, that means that he still has objections to buying. You would then try to uncover what those objections are.

I have seen many times when both the husband and wife are all excited working with their Interior Designer and then the first payment comes due and the husband starts to balk at any other expenditures. They knew what the total bill was going to be, but writing that first check maybe knocks them back to reality???

How many of you feel that it's easier to seek forgiveness, than to ask for permission from your spouse or significant other, when it comes to you buying big ticket stuff on your own?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JDUpholstery

I just had a customer in the shop, wanted a boat cover done, sat down figured prices and he said "ok I have to talk to my wife, and will get back to ya" I laughed out loud without meaning to and he asked what, so I told him how we were just having this discussion on a forum I frequent, "after a couple mins he handed me the deposit and said well I aint on of those husbands"!...funny how that works

Mike

kodydog

Quote from: gene on August 22, 2012, 02:44:02 pm
How many of you feel that it's easier to seek forgiveness, than to ask for permission from your spouse or significant other, when it comes to you buying big ticket stuff on your own?
gene

When you say big ticket do you mean cars, boats, houses? When it comes to expenses my wife and I work as a team. There have been plenty of times when we were looking at a big ticket item and through discussion have talked each other out of it. Saved a ton of money and avoided many bad decisions this way.

I've seen many marriages where the man makes all the decisions and the wife stands meekly by. I find it a pity and waist of knowledge that she is not included in all these decisions.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

Kody thay i take it is when i was married my sife didnt care for the boat as all that i had becore getting married that was mine she did t care for bost at all. So it was mine and anything i did to it  and my car.
Now if it was somthing that concerned bolth  of us loke a place to live or furniture thst was different.