Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:55:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Boat Cover Reinforcement?

Started by jojo, July 28, 2012, 06:58:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hi Guys,
I did a cover a couple of months ago for an old fishing boat. I used laminated vinyl for the reinforcement patch at the windshield, but within a few weeks of the customer travelling with the boat, the sharp corners wore right through the vinyl and the Sunbrella!
Is there a stronger material I should be using here?
Thanks in advance.

JuneC

I typically use Herculite or Shelter-Rite for that type of reinforcement, but neither is going to hold up when you're doing miles down the highway at 75 mph.  That's hurricane force winds and nothing made will stand up to that kind of abuse when slapped against metal. My opinion, of course.  If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it since my customers are always looking for hurricane-proof covers.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

wind_rose_2

Sailors have used leather for  years to reinforce though highway miles are harder than sea miles on the fabric.
Dave

Darren Henry

I'm with June; I use what you call Herculite down there. I use the 18 oz stuff and have never had a problem.

I have taken a file to some edges because they were that nasty and the owner was AWOL  ;D .

Dave; You blow boaters only use leather because you can cut up an old pair of boots from the trash can instead of having to buy a 50 ¢ piece of new technology.  :P

Just razzin' ya bro. Stay well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

forsailbyowner

Ive found scraps of window plastic works good. strataglass or the like

jojo

Thanks guys; I am going to try all of these suggestions.

scarab29

On rare occasions , like for sail , I have used clear vinyl. Use leather on boom covers and some sail boat stuff as thats whats asked for or expected since it was on the old canvas. Mostly use top gun as i seem to always have some laying around and wears really well.  8)
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.