Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:48:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pink Spots

Started by Danny D., July 27, 2012, 07:54:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny D.

I know that this subject has been discussed before, but I need some additional help.  I covered some cushions on a Century boat, and some of them have developed the dredded pink spots.  I remember that Marine Spray 9 was noted as a cure for this, but it didn't work on these spots.  I am open to almost anything, as is the owner, short of re-doing the covers.  Any ideas out there?

Danny D.

byhammerandhand

Developed as in "spilled some red liquid on them?"

There are two types of red stains

1. Organic such as red wine, berries, etc.   You can treat these with hydrogen peroxide or one of the oxygenating bleaches such as Oxi-Clean.   Pro's Choice makes a "Stain Magic" product that is a strong hydrogen peroxide solution with a catalyst in a second bottle.  Mix, apply, and let it do its work.  UV light helps, which should not be a problem on boat seats.

2. Non-organic, i.e., red food dye.  Common in many foods, medicines, and beverages.  Red Kool Aid is the classic example.   These need a reducer (the opposite of #1).   There are very specific stain removers for red food dyes.   I use Pro's Choice "Red Relief"   This is a two-part solution that you mix, apply, heat lightly, then it chemically converts the dye to something you can remove.  They have just come out with a "Red 1 USA" that is a one-part product, but I've not had the chance/need to try it yet.

If it was mine to clean, I'd go with #1 first.   Test in an obscure spot, then proceed carefully with one seat.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

jojo

I'm pretty sure this is some type of mold. I've seen it before on late model boats with really cheap vinyl. Usually the vinyl is only about 6 months old before this develops.
What kind of vinyl did you use?
I'd try a magic eraser and diluted bleach.

baileyuph

I also have seen this and the common experience is it has had a lot of sun and might have had dirt on the surface for the color to represent bacteria?

I once had experience this on vinyl that had glue on the back side, but in this case it isn't expected?

Any who!  I suggest replacing and get it done with because cleaning has never worked for me, especially if the symptom has prevailed a while. 

Doyle

jojo

Yes, Doyle, you're right. It is bacteria, and it's probably on the foam, causing the growth on the vinyl. I'd do them over too if it were me. And I'd spray the foam with something that kills bacteria before I put the new skins on.

baileyuph

Very good point Chris, I didn't think about the foam issue.  That dirt and moisture in the foam could be a hot bed of bacteria.

Thanks for adding that, I suppose one would fix the job and then start considering ventilation?  That one might warp a small mind like mine.

Doyle

JuneC

Ah, the dreaded pink mold.  It's a fungus for sure.  Tough part with new vinyl is getting an anti-fungal to the fungus since it's imbedded.  I've heard of success with black spot anti-fungal liquids they sell at the garden shop for roses and tomatoes.  I'd choose a brand with the highest concentration of active ingredients, saturate a thin white towel or t-shirt and lay it on the seat and leave it at least overnight.  I've heard this works, but haven't encountered the problem for several years so don't know if it really works.  Bleach applied in the same manner is also supposed to work, but bleach will weaken the thread.  After treating it may take a few days for the pink to disappear. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Danny D.

The vinyl I used was Spradling Soft Side with their new permagard treatment.  It's supposed to make the vinyl easier to clean, but evidently doesn't prevent things like the pink spots from happening.  I'll try the cures given, saving the complete re-do for the last resort.  Thanks.

Danny D.

Mike

June is your sebsite still up i was voing to refer a guy who needs a cover your way and couldnt find it.

Mike

Was tye old fosm used danny perhaps
It came through.   
I use seabrook and on my one. Coaming pad new board new foam and. Inyl i have had a pink spot occor but the pad is in the weather all the time. With tons of rain.

jojo

Mike, I almost never use new foam; I just beef up the old foam. My customers don't want to pay for it. I've done hundreds of cushions and have never had the pink spot thing, so I'm lucky I guess. But whenever I see it, it's usually on newer boats with the vinyl that has a real slick shiny feel to it, and it always has the fuzzy flannel backing too.
I'm thinking the cheap vinyl they use doesn't have the anti microbial coating on it?

Mike

Jojo ive ise seabrook on many of my boats and never  seen it it  is a good. Vinyl and ive slso never had a complaint from a customer. Pehaps just on mine its that i do t want to cover the whole boat and thebpad gets soaked here in the summer

Mojo

I passed this on to our resident vinyl expert - MiamiMike.

Maybe he has something to add to this topic. I have seen this on boats before and I can remember we had a discussion on this topic quite a while ago here on the forum.

It seems this Pink Spot problem rears its ugly head every now and then.

Chris

JuneC

Quote from: MikeM8560 on July 28, 2012, 09:05:56 am
June is your sebsite still up i was voing to refer a guy who needs a cover your way and couldnt find it.

Still there, Mike - harborcushions.com

Danny, Spradling is great vinyl.  I'm surprised it went pink so fast.  I remember when you posted how you do the double welt for those seats and it wasn't that long ago (BTW, thanks for the how-to on that).  When I use old foam, I typically scrape off the green slime, wash with degreaser (Oil Eater is WONDERFUL stuff - don't get me started on this product :-X), rinse with fresh water, dry thoroughly, then spritz with bleach and water - a 1-4 mix in a spray bottle.  Let it dry again, then recover.  Only time I recover dirty, wet foam is when I'm trying to meet a shipping schedule for out of the country.  

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Good point, June. Don't cover wet foam! I always take the staples out, and take the foam off of the board and let it dry for at least a whole day.
Btw, Danny, there are a few guys on this board who often see pink spots and pink elephants, but that's usually the booze talkin. :D