Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 10:18:27 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Backup Bobbin cases

Started by Mojo, July 27, 2012, 04:11:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Just to clarify, I have never had a problem with thread wrapping. The only problem that I have (if I don't hold the top thread at startup) is that the top thread jumps out of the needle.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

RocketmanMH1

One good solution to holding the thread at start up that I have found,  I take all my scraps and cut them up in little 2x2 squares and keep them in a box on the right side of my machine(all of them even the pfaff which I dont have to hold the thread for)and when I finish my seam I run off on the little pad, clip the thread from material being sewn and my machine is ready to go hands free to start the next seam or what ever. I know it sounds like a lot to do but I have found it saves me lots of time and lots of thread as well.  You guys give it a try, I would like to hear your opinions!

RocketmanMH1

I can't believe not one person has an opinion on the run off pads!

MinUph

Rocketman,
  Believe it. Sometimes it takes awhile for someone to comment on comments. I for one think it might not be a bad idea once you get the hang of it. Problem is many won't take the time to get the process down.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

206RB

Quote from: RocketmanMH1 on August 01, 2012, 04:27:51 pm
I can't believe not one person has an opinion on the run off pads!

+1 on the runoff pads. If you are not in the habit of using them, you should be!

sofadoc

I remember my Grandmother having one huge run off pad instead of a bunch of little ones.
As soon as she sewed off the pad onto the fabric, she would cut it loose and have it ready to run off onto when she got to the end. The funny thing is, she had a Singer 16-188 which as I recall, didn't really require holding the thread on startup anyway.

I'm going to make a conscious effort to give it a try tomorrow. But as I said before, holding the thread at startup has become such an involuntary reflex with me, it's really not bothersome at all. I've never had a problem with thread wrap........ only the thread jumping out of the needle.

sofadoc

OK, I've tried it a few times this morning.
           AND THE VERDICT IS: (drumroll, please)...................
Kinda like it at times. Sometimes it gets in the way a little when sewing something tedious, but other times I think I could get used to it. I've approved funding for a full clinical trial. :D

I kept catching myself holding onto the pad, just like I normally do with the thread.

I would think that might really be beneficial for someone like Chris, who says that the feeling in his fingertips ain't what it used to be.

timtheboatguy

Quote from: RocketmanMH1 on July 28, 2012, 07:14:15 pm
One good solution to holding the thread at start up that I have found,  I take all my scraps and cut them up in little 2x2 squares and keep them in a box on the right side of my machine(all of them even the pfaff which I dont have to hold the thread for)and when I finish my seam I run off on the little pad, clip the thread from material being sewn and my machine is ready to go hands free to start the next seam or what ever. I know it sounds like a lot to do but I have found it saves me lots of time and lots of thread as well.  You guys give it a try, I would like to hear your opinions!

I will give this a try, may cut down on the milliion scraps of thread all over my floor!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

Cheryl

It's how stitchers in factories do it.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

Mojo

Quote from: RocketmanMH1 on July 28, 2012, 07:14:15 pm

I will give it a try today. I like the idea of it saving thread. This dang Solarfix costs an arm and a leg. I think it would also cut down on the frustration level of my club fingers trying to grab thread.

Thanks for the idea.

Chris

lc

I must say what a great idea!!

yes it may take some getting used to but the time it would save with less of a fuss to start up again sure would be nice .
It's amazing how what one persons trick can make us realize we never stop learning in this trade , no matter how many years we've been at it....hmmm goes to show., you can'' teach an old dog new tricks !!
I'll give it a try tomorrow !!

RocketmanMH1

Quote from: timtheboatguy on August 02, 2012, 10:58:52 am

I will give this a try, may cut down on the milliion scraps of thread all over my floor!

HA HA Now you just have to pick up the  one hundred thousand runoff pads. LOL

gene

I'm going to give it a try also. If the threads aren't in the back of the walking foot I usually blow a puff of air at the foot and that sends the threads to the back where I can hold them down to begin sewing.

It will be interesting to see if using a fabric scrap is easier. I do occasionally have to re thread because I didn't have enough thread or was not holding it down long enough.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

needles eye

Hey i like the idea of the run off pads and am gonna give it a swing. It's a similar thing to use run off tags in aluminium welding (no holes at end of job / burn through).
Mainly use a chinese copy Singer 20u semi industrial, has a table but small throat. If you don't hold threads on a new tack usually asking for it. Huge jams and headaches. Sew over pads should be real good. Thanking you, mate!!
Anyway the timing has been changed on the 20u to run a DP x 17 (walking foot) needle, size 16. [Gets knocked out of timing occasionaly and have to be careful to get the shuttle hook in the exact spot on the horizontal plane else the hook doesn't pick up the thread (V92) properly and shreds bad.] Sews zigzag 9mm wide through anything, real thick. Can post some pix of how the timing goes if anyone wants a gecko. Great for H16 sails, tramps, boat stuff, etc.

I hate always picking the snips or scissors up and down, and all the threads drama. It costs me hours in a full day.
Have a hands free auto Adler 267 ( pedal air foot lift, auto back tack, thread trim, auto thread hold), ground down walking foot for piping)  it's such an immense joy to use for the straight line stuff, especially when patching up in repairs coz you just lift the job and go, no wasting time or thread, or jams or lost threads.. bang bang, job's out.

I also use a Singer 293 U3 for the lighter stuff and find it's so tedious now just mainly feed it through the walking foot machine. However it's really important to bang the fabric stuff through a 4 or 5 thread overlocker after sewing up the job and the short amount of time it takes is certainly well worth it for insurance peace of mind if the job goes pear shaped on ya and unravels itself ... Threading the dang loopers though is not always good for one's piece of mind .. and using black  ..

About the best thing can share with you today is this trick i saw a lady doing when making splash cushions, that is, she joined all up the cushion bodys to a length of zip and banged it through the machine in one hit doing about 6 backtack stitches at the start and end of each particular cushion. Then a quick chop up, fit sliding zipper and sew on other side. Neat time saving trick. She was kind to share it, eh. And, she was the one that taught me to always pump the foot pedal when sewing too, kinda like blips on the throttle, and then after a while you could blast through the job and slow down a bit to stop exactly on the pivot point, lift your foot, to swing the job on a corner. Broom, broom, kinda cool .. well worth trying a test ride .. start slow and pick up the pace soon on the pedal, little blips first, revs up to flat out, then more little blips to slow down for corner .. control

JDUpholstery

Love the runoff pad idea, i have loss of fine motor skills in my hands, Don't even use my index fingers anymore, pick things up with my thumb and middle finger, so getting the thread up off the bed is tough for me, and very time consuming, the pad should make things a lot easier, right now I waste a lot of thread because to make things easier I pull about 10 inches out the back so I have something to grab!