Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:23:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Making new Industrial sewing machine table top

Started by zanepurcell, July 12, 2012, 10:49:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob T

It's a Chinese clone of an Adler 366.  It's a very very heavy machine, maybe 180 lbs. and it can stitch thru 3/4" of materials.  On some windsurfing stuff I use size 207 and 277 thread and it handles that with ease.  It does have cams so it can do zigzag and 3 step zigzag for large boat sails. 

zanepurcell

ok, I know Adler Durkopf is a great machine... I have seen a company called sewline selling a similar machine for around $300. I have considered getting a portable machine, mainly for my personal entertainment

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Even Chinese copy of Durkopp Adler 366 short arm would be more than $300USD.  Most who do canvas and uphostery will never see the need for a heavy zig zag like this one here.

Most common applications are for boat sail manufactuer and repair, heavy corners and patches and heavy sail work.  You can see more information about it here;

http://keysew.com/Webpages/DemoImages/DurkoppAdler366.pdf

Bob T

July 18, 2012, 10:58:36 am #18 Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:55:03 am by Bob T
When I was looking for a 366, I found a used one in Germany for $13,000.  This one came from Sunsew and I paid about $5400 for it with import fees and all.

Here it is with my Bernina 217N-12 next to it:

Large Scale: http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n630/thombiz/scc006.jpg

zanepurcell

ok, I thought I was looking at something like a sailright even feed. Yours is much larger... It just looked small and boxy by itself for some reason in the picture... What is your bernia model?

in other news, I am making my table top with two thicknesses of 3/4 plywood, liquid nails in between and carriage bolts to hold it together as well as the motor. I am shimming with hose washers to keep vibration down between hardware bolts and washers and nuts. I put adjustable feet on it to control height and leveling it and to get it to a similar height as maybe an additional table or two for large work.
Zane

JuneC

Quote from: Bob T on July 18, 2012, 10:58:36 am
When I was looking for a 366, I found a used one in Germany for $13,000.  This one came from Sunsew and I paid about $5400 for it with import fees and all.

Here it is with my Bernina next to it:

Large Scale: http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n630/thombiz/scc006.jpg

Holy Cow, Bob!  That's impressive!  I've been asked numerous times to do sail repairs and construction.  I've always turned it down for lack of skill and equipment and sent them to a sail loft.  Canvas and sails are two different beasts and I know my limits. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields