Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 26, 2024, 02:52:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

108 degrees today!

Started by timtheboatguy, June 28, 2012, 07:35:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Quote from: sofadoc on June 29, 2012, 10:17:41 am
The oldest, tiredest, most overused phrase is "It's not the heat, it's the humidity".
While that phrase may be run into the ground, the bottom line is....it's true.

I have to agree, and where the humidity is already REALLY high I don't see where making it more humid helps at all.  I've made a few bimini tops for people with extra holes along the outer bows because they wanted to install misting systems on the boat and needed openings for the nozzles along the frame.  Kool idea, but I truly don't think it works when our average humidity in summer hovers around 90 percent.  Evaporative cooling only works when water evaporates and it's not really going to unless the air is a bit drier.

June
hmmmm..  the spell checker doesn't like "evaporative"...
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

byhammerandhand

We're going on 20 hours without power at home.  Coverage is spotty and we're cooling off at the library just a couple of miles away.  I hope we get power back before THurs or Fri as some have predicted.   Shooting for 98F today. http://www.wvxu.org/news/wvxunews_article.asp?ID=10178
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

timtheboatguy

My work output is running about 60% of normal! I need some inside jobs  :)
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

gene

"Ladies bathed before noon, after their three-o'clock naps, and by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frostings of sweat and sweet talcum." To Kill a Mockingbird

Sorry to hear about no power, Keith. My lights at my studio flickered yesterday during the storm but never went off completely.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Tou have to be carefull working in the heat.
A few weeks ago i was laying some sod in the heat   
I push it a bit snd when i came in snd cooled off i went i to the batroom to sile my cace off snd my
Legs just shut down and i went to the floor in slowmotion trying to hold myself up sith ny hands on the sink.
I thiugh i was having a second stroke. Ut my do tor said is was prop ly just somthkng sith my bloodpeeasure and the heat.

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 30, 2012, 10:50:30 am
We're going on 20 hours without power at home.
I hope we get power back before THurs or Fri as some have predicted.
I don't get it. In all my 54 years living in Texas, I don't ever remember a power outtage lasting as long as 24 hours. I guess you guys have more homes on the same grid?

Take care of yourself, Mike.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

My guess would be that the large towers and major transmission lines sustained heavy damage.  A friend who is a lineman says that it's just a time issue when it comes to repairing downed lines and in Ohio's case those guys will be working in oppressive heat.

Several years ago we encountered a similar issue with a massive ice storm that followed on the heels of a snow storm.  The quick change over to rain soaked accumulated snow and put too much weight on the lines and towers.  Predictably, they collapsed.  People in the northern part of my state and Quebec were without power for nearly two weeks.  A local wood stove manufacturer used to have several testimonial letters on their site that referenced that storm. 

(I find it sort of sad that people have to be reminded to look in on their neighbors.  It's not just "instinct"?)

gene

87 degrees on Sanibel Island, Fl.

97 degrees here in SW Ohio

71 degrees in Copper Harbor, MI.

What did George W. screw up to cause this weird weather?

gene

bobbin

Aside from the fact that he convinced every uninformed fool that he was a "Texas Boy" when in fact he's just another rich, trust fund beneficiary of the oil industry? Nothing! what we're seeing now in climate change (if you believe in it) was set in motion in the go-go '50s. 

90 degrees in So. Me..  Not sure the sea change will happen today and it'll prolly get hotter, but not a lot.  I can tell because the sky is "too" blue for it to get too hot.  When it's brutal here the sky is not bright blue, it's milky. 

It can be hot here and very oppressive, but not usually for more than 5 days in a row.  And it rarely gets to a threshold that could be considered "dangerous".  Cold, however, can be a different story.  But not usually.

byhammerandhand

Got power back after 24 hours.   Fortunately, there's a sub station two doors down from me, so that was near top priority.  Unfortunately, a tree branch flow off onto it (I could heat two loud pops when it happened).   They predict 95% of people will be back by midnight Monday (78 hours later).  If your tree fell down and landed on your line feed, you're just bottom priority.

Perhaps the most dangerous thing was the #*)Q@ idiots that go plowing through intersections with the lights not working instead of treating them like a 4-way stop that they legally are.

Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 30, 2012, 10:50:30 am
We're going on 20 hours without power at home.  Coverage is spotty and we're cooling off at the library just a couple of miles away.  I hope we get power back before THurs or Fri as some have predicted.   Shooting for 98F today. http://www.wvxu.org/news/wvxunews_article.asp?ID=10178

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Hammer I feel for you. After Hurricane Hugo we were without power for over two weeks. A tree fell on our power line and we were on the bottom of a long list to restore.

Friday was our first day out of our neighborhood after TS Debbie. 4 days behind impassable water bogs. There are people deeper in the neighborhood who still can't get out and major state roads are still shut down. We are babysitting a neighbors dog who's property, including house is under water. Hopefully they will get some relief from FEMA.

SR 129, a main artery through Suwanee County has several places where the water is 5' deep with cars submerged to there roof.

I'm supposed to travel to Gainesville tomorrow but the way to get there is to cross the Santa Fe river that is already at flood stage and expected to crest today. There are other ways to get there but those routes are all flooded.

Don't drown turn around. Frustrating for sure.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Grebo

Quote from: JuneC on June 30, 2012, 07:09:15 am
Quote from: sofadoc on June 29, 2012, 10:17:41 am
The oldest, tiredest, most overused phrase is "It's not the heat, it's the humidity".
While that phrase may be run into the ground, the bottom line is....it's true.

I have to agree, and where the humidity is already REALLY high I don't see where making it more humid helps at all.  I've made a few bimini tops for people with extra holes along the outer bows because they wanted to install misting systems on the boat and needed openings for the nozzles along the frame.  Kool idea, but I truly don't think it works when our average humidity in summer hovers around 90 percent.  Evaporative cooling only works when water evaporates and it's not really going to unless the air is a bit drier.

June
hmmmm..  the spell checker doesn't like "evaporative"...

I hate those misting things, ok fine if you can guarantee the water is 100% clean/fresh. We used to have a bar in the marina with that fitted under the awning, now what is one of the best ways to spread legionnaires disease  Hmm.
Nice topping to your drink / meal  :-X .

Suzi

Mojo

I installed solar screens on the back part of the house. This area gets the sun from noon on. It used to heat up the kitchen, dining room and my shop terribly. The solar screens really helped out alot. In the fall I take them down, roll them up and store them till next spring. They are the same solar screens I make for coaches.

Bobbin, all I do anymore is awnings and slide toppers. I can look at a used slide topper and tell which part of the country the customer is from. I can also tell by the date of the slide topper or awning. If it is NorthEast they will be 5 - 7 years old. If they are CA, NM or AZ they are 3 years old and if they are 100 % Florida they are 2 - 3 years old. The tell tale sign is always the stitching. The poly thread is almost always gone in them. I have seen Florida awnings that were 3 years old with the Poly thread disintegrated. I have had two calls this year from coach owners who had thread breakage. Their coaches were manufactured in 2011.

When I do inspections at Rallys I sometimes will get on the roof of a coach, inspect the slide toppers and then try and guess which part of the country they are from. When I get down I ask the customer where they spend alot of their travel time. Most of the time I am dead on with the regions but have been fooled a few times by owners that keep their coaches under cover.

The poly thread issue I see is why I only use Solarfix ( Tenara ) thread. I make my awnings/slide toppers, ship them out and I never want to hear from my customers again for 7 or 8 years. :) If I used Poly thread I would probably have to limit my 3 year warranty. tenara would probably be overkill for your region but for my region it is a must unless I want to go broke doing repairs.

Chris

Mike

Quote from: byhammerandhand on July 01, 2012, 10:04:40 am

Perhaps the most dangerous thing was the #*)Q@ idiots that go plowing through intersections with the lights not working instead of treating them like a 4-way stop that they legally are.

[/quote]Back after charly hit here all the Traffic lights were out.  I know what you meen the. Atilnsl guard was here directing  traffic was one of the things they did.

gene

It doesn't take a power outage.

A few years ago a lady who told me that when she gets angry/depressed, she will get in her car and drive around town running red lights hoping someone will hit her.

I have always driven more cautiously since she told me this. I'm sure she's not the only one who needs profession help who is out there driving around.

gene