Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 07:19:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Invisable zipper on throw pillows

Started by sofadoc, June 22, 2012, 01:54:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I stumbled up on this youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qulwhv6jqzI

I was very impressed at how completely hidden her zippers were, so I tried her method.

After sewing the welt cord to the first panel on my walking foot machine, I switched over to a Juki DDL-555 (high speed garment machine) to add the invisable zipper that I picked up at Wal-Mart.

I even took a spare zipper foot and ground one side off so I could get even closer:

I realize that a better matching colored zipper would've been less conspicuous, but I can't seem to make my zipper as "hidden" as the ones in the video.

As a rule, I don't do that many zippered corded throw pillows. But when I do, I normally turn back a hem, similar to the zipper on the back of a regular sofa cushion, but if I could learn to hide them as well as the ones in the video, I'd do more of them.
What am I doing wrong?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Sofa., I think the truly invisible zipper is one of the hardest things to pull off in sewing.  I'm not kidding!  It's really hard to get a zipper foot right up tight against the coil of the invisible zipper chain.  And there is a specific typle of coil zipper that you use for the perfect effect. 

The presser foot makes a big difference, too.  I learned to insert zippers using a narrow, split toe foot that was commonly used on a drop feed machine (no walking foot).  There is a foot that is adjustable from right to left and eliminates the other side of the foot completely.  That's usually what comes with a home sewing machine and you get them for industrials, too.  And then there is the "kissable" foot.  It's almost square (no "toes" out front) and has two grooves on either side of the needle hole which ride over the chain.  I have tried and tried to get mine to work on my trusty Singer 31-15, but the results have always been... well, mediocre.  Theoretically, you should be able to run two lines of stitching and that's it. 

I can't use either of the two options outlined above on my Juki 9010SS because it's a needle feed machine and the needle bar moves forward on each stitch, meaning that the feed set up is different than a drop feed and  any presser foot that's closed in front requires a slot (insead of a hole) to accomodate the forward movement of the needle bar.

I am going to take a couple of classes on slipcovering next week and I will be certain to ask about invisible zipper insertion.  Good question!

gene

First of all, she says, "Hi ladies." What, I can't sew because I don't have the correct anatomical parts? Jeez! You'd think that by now, 2012, people would have left their sexist bigotry behind with the pet rock and rotary dial phones.

Anyway, sofa d., if you look at 7:06 of THIS LADIES' video, you can check to see if you sewed the same way. It appears that you did, however, you may not have sewn close enough to the welt cord.

An "invisible" zipper is just a zipper with really small teeth. The smaller the teeth and the closer you sew to the welt cord the easier the closed zipper will be able to hide under the welt cord.

This is the key: if the closed zipper is hiding under the welt cord then you will not see the zipper. It will be invisible!

I hope this helps.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Actually, my attempt looked almost as hidden as the video......until I stuffed the pillow. She didn't stuff her final one, and in the first 2, the brown pillow panels had pleats pressed into it, and the B/W boxed cushion with pink cord wasn't stuffed to the point that the zipper seams were pushing away from each other. So maybe it's all an optical illusion. I have my zipper rammed so close to the welt cord, that I can barely work the slide as it is now. I don't see how I can get any closer.
Again, a better color match would've made a big difference on my attempt.
I'm also wondering if my sewing the cord on a walking foot machine with a welt foot made it harder for my zipper teeth to really "scroonch" in under it.

I think you may be on to something, Gene. I've got to figure out how to get in under the cord.

Well so long ladies, gotta go watch Oprah (insert "sensitive" smiley here).

byhammerandhand

I've got all this week's "The View" on DVR.  Come on over and we'll have some wine.

Quote from: sofadoc on June 22, 2012, 04:28:55 pm
Well so long ladies, gotta go watch Oprah (insert "sensitive" smiley here).
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 22, 2012, 06:11:23 pm
I've got all this week's "The View" on DVR.  Come on over and we'll have some wine.
Only if we can talk about our "feelings". :-*

CKKC

I like the way she is so professional until her upper thread comes out of the needle.
Very quietly she says "Oh crap"    ;D

byhammerandhand

Deal.   And do you hear about Linda and Mike?

Quote from: sofadoc on June 22, 2012, 06:24:12 pm
Quote from: byhammerandhand on June 22, 2012, 06:11:23 pm
Only if we can talk about our "feelings". :-*
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

JuneC

Back in the 70's and 80's I installed dozens of invisible zippers in clothes I made for myself.  They seem to have gone out of vogue sometime in the 80's but that's immaterial.  What I don't get in the video is the bit about ironing the zipper flat before sewing it in.  Other checks on the web for installing them say the same thing.  Now back when I was using them I never ironed them before sewing.  The "curl" is what makes it invisible in the first place.  The zip tape is attached to the top of the coil, rather than the side and causes the sewn-on-fabric to roll in over the teeth to hide them.  It's a pain to "unroll" the curl while sewing with a zip foot and you do have to get really close, but I never had an issue with the teeth showing.  It would probably not be possible on a walking foot since the pressure of the foot assists in keeping it uncurled while stitching.  JMHO

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on June 23, 2012, 07:08:26 am
What I don't get in the video is the bit about ironing the zipper flat before sewing it in.  Other checks on the web for installing them say the same thing.
The invisable zipper that I got at Wal-Mart had very little "curl" to it. I ironed it out like she said, but it made almost no difference.

sofadoc

Quote from: CKKC on June 22, 2012, 06:31:13 pm
I like the way she is so professional until her upper thread comes out of the needle.
Very quietly she says "Oh crap"
I caught that mild expletive. I didn't realize that it was because her thread came out, I thought maybe she just farted or something. :o
Me and Hammer will discuss her atrocious behavior over a glass of wine and a bubble bath surrounded by scented candles.

gene

I went to a doctor because I can't sleep at night. He found no physical problems.

He sent me to a psychiatrist who asked me if I had any extremely upsetting experiences lately. I said no. He then asked me if I read anything lately that could have created an extremely upsetting visual image.

The psychiatrist put me on Thorazine and told me I could still frequent this forum but I am not to read any more replies from sofadoc or byhammerandhand.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on June 24, 2012, 06:49:48 am
The psychiatrist put me on Thorazine and told me I could still frequent this forum but I am not to read any more replies from sofadoc or byhammerandhand.
C'mon Gene, you know that's just the Thorazine talkin'. Come on over and we can give each other a facial and do each other's toes. I'll wear my boots and six-shooter.  Bring some extra scented candles in case Mrs. Haberman shows up.

bobbin

Which one of you clowns is bringing the ice cream/cookie dough?

(inquiring minds want to know.  Lol)

FWIW, like June I never heard of ironing the coil of the zipper.  The whole point of the "kissable" zipper foot is that it will force the coil to the side so the pass of the needle is properly and uniformly positioned.  Also, I never saw the use of the "invisible" zipper until the late '80s; before that it was usually a centred or lapped application/insertion.  Perhaps I'm dating myself!

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on June 24, 2012, 07:30:19 am
The whole point of the "kissable" zipper foot is that it will force the coil to the side so the pass of the needle is properly and uniformly positioned.
Like this? (at the 2 min. mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Dz6tk_fW4&feature=related
Of course, this rig wouldn't work next to a welt cord.
Mrs. Haberman seemed to be achieving "invisibility" with an ordinary zipper foot.
Then she started all the profane vulgarity and possible flatulence (insert smiley with hands over ears and clothespin over nose here).