Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 05:15:30 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mechanical problems with delivery van

Started by kodydog, June 17, 2012, 06:20:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Having issues with my Ford van. Went online to find answers. Can't find any chat rooms like this one. They all want to charge $$$. I'm not going to give a CC # to someone I don't know. Any ideas for an amateur mechanic that needs help?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mojo

PM me your problem and I will pass it on to my brother. He is a mechanic. if he doesn't have the answer then I will post it on a racing forum I belong to. half the guys on there are certified mechanics.

Ya never know I maybe able to help you myself as I have twisted wrenches for years, mainly out of necessity because I was either to broke or to offended at what shops wanted to charge to fix my problems with vehicles. :)

Chris

kodydog

timtheboatguy

What year, what motor, what's the symptom? I have two ford work vans and do all my own work perhaps I may be able to contribute.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

kodydog

June 18, 2012, 05:31:48 am #5 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 05:39:26 am by kodydog
Here is the e-mail I sent to Mojo. He was kind enough to post it on a mechanic site. Waiting for a reply.

I have a 2003 Ford E150. 130000 miles. During a violent rain storm with the windows down the inside got soaked. Since then the A/C-Heat-Defrost switch will only work on defrost (default setting). The switch has wires and vacuum lines attached to it. There appears to be no vacuum in any of the lines. I've traced all the vacuum lines to the fire wall and they seem to be in good working order. Its hard to tell where the lines come out of the fire wall and into the engine compartment but the ones I've seen seem to be OK.

Second problem that may be related. When cruising in overdrive. 40-50 MPH. When I let off the gas then lightly accelerate, I feel a cylinder miss (or something similar). Could this be vacuum related. Changed the plugs and wires two weeks ago and seemed to help for a while. But doing it again. Maybe PCV?

I neglected to mention to Mojo that for the second problem I've changed the gas filter and air filter. The engine is a 4.2L V-6.

Aj, I checked out your site and will view it more this evening. Thanks.

baileyuph

That engine has a background of runner valves seals/gaskets leaking. 

Run a vacuum check, you will probably detect a vacuum leak which would explain the hesitation on acceleration.  Ford has a bulletin out on this specific thing I am relating to.  If I come across that bulletin number, of course I will send it to you but a good Ford mechanic, with solid experience on that engine will quickly go to the problem.

Of course check you coil packs, anything that would cause a miss.

If it is the vacuum leak I am pointing to, the upper half of the engine has to be disassembled and new seals/gaskets will take care of that.

That is the same van I have and have been through this.

BTW, I hear, haven't read, but the Econoline is not going to be made anymore.

Doyle

Mojo

Ed:

I just got the same response back from the other forum as Doyle eluded to.

If you want to do all the work yourself then I have all the tools you may need if you want to pick them up. Vac gauge, Compression gauge, timing light, etc.......etc.

I have a pretty extensive collection of mechanics tools as well ( pneumatic's, impacts, etc. ). Your welcomed to use whatever I have. The one thing I do not have is an OBD reader but you can have that done for free at Advanced Auto or Auto Zone.

Chris

kodydog

Thanks DB, looks like I need to see my local Ford dealer.

And thank you Chris. I'm afraid this is beyond my mechanics skills. And I can't afford to be without the van that long. I know its going to cost an arm and a leg. I can afford the leg but I need my arms.  :o

Thanks everyone.

timtheboatguy

Well I didn't know you had a new van  ;D Mine are a 91 e350 and a 92 e250. BTW, Autozone.com has some free service material which has helped me in the past.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

baileyuph

Check engine light on?

Get a code read out yet?

I had asumed you have gone this far?

Doyle

Mike

I just went throught a problem with my dodge vanit was cront hub berring somthing new just kne berring and hub ombo nit the 2 berring inside and out as in the past and the sound was different then any berring noise inhad  before a wirring sound so i thiught i may be the tires sich were worn  so i bought new tires and still had the noise.  So i went. Y the local dodge dealor to see if they would look at it and siagnose they souldnt look at it unless they got $100 then  harve cor the work after.  So i did it myself.
Even at that it was about $300 for parts

scarab29

Autozone or advanced auto will do a code scan for you if you have one local. Had the 4.6 in my expedition and the scanner became my friend !  :o If it does turn out to be a intake there are some aftermarket ones that are more re inforced than the one ford makes and would be a better replacement. I believe dorman / help has a kit. Ford truck world has been a good free forum I used in the past and there are great members with a wealth of info on fords !!!
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

fragged8

for getting the fault codes I have a laptop lead and also a handheld unit
I got from Feebay, they are not that expensive.

Rich

kodydog

June 19, 2012, 05:22:58 pm #14 Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 05:59:37 pm by kodydog
Thanks for the info all. I have used the Autozone service before when my air sensor, inside the air filter chamber was giving me problems. The nice lady their said simply spray it with electronics cleaner every oil change. That was 60,000 miles ago and it never came on again.

The light is not on now. Pretty amazing seeing there is sometimes a noticeable jerk when driving the conditions I described. Sometimes I wonder if its transmission related. Could be a number of things. Guess I need to take it to the dealer.

One other thing I noticed. I changed the Plugs and wires 3 weeks ago. The problem stopped for one week.
Then lots of rain on my dirt roads and it started again. Its been dry for one week and the problem seems to have stopped. Have I lost my mind?

Scarab, Ford Truck World is great