Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 02:32:38 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Believe it or don't

Started by sofadoc, May 31, 2012, 06:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've never really lost patience with customers that come through my door with absolutely no concept of what a reupholstery job should cost.
After all, it's perfectly logical thinking to assume that it would be a fraction of the cost of buying new.
While I do explain the many advantages to recovering (as opposed to buying new), I frankly admit that saving money isn't one of them.

Today was one for the record books. A couple came in my shop after buying a pair of wing chairs from a thrift store. The man who sold them the chairs gave them directions to my store, and told them that I would recover the chairs for $28 (fabric included).
When I told them that 28 bucks wouldn't even cover the sales tax, instead of getting mad at the thrift store guy, they got mad at me.

When I told a similar story about unreasonable customers a few months ago, one of the members suggested that I'm just using this forum to practice creative writing. So I hesitated about even writing this story. But hey, if it happened.....it happened.
Everyone please believe me. If I was going to embellish, I would regale you with tales of wild sex orgies that feature me as the centerpiece. ;)

I know that many of you work from home. I have a commercial storefront. So maybe I get more knuckleheads off the street? It seems like I have more than my share of stories that don't even sound plausible.

If you guys have any "Hard to swallow" stories, I'd like to hear them (so that I know that it isn't just me).

BTW I did make up the part about being the "centerpiece"......I wasn't (but I did play a prominent role ;D).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

sofa,
  Embellish YOU! I believe every word. And did the last time. I have seen allot through the years in this business and others. When I was remodeling for 10 or so years I was called to give an estimate for chair rail in a kitchen. This kitchen had every conceivable angle there was and it would be tedious work. I gave the couple an estimate of a couple hundred dollars. The guy sat there and laughed. He then stated he had a guy that would do it for 50 bucks including the material. The moulding would have cost me well over that unprimed. So yes I do believe these stories. Keep em coming there enjoyable. It always nice to see others suffer the same fate  :P
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Deally sofa you didnt honor the sales guy reuphster deal eoth his sale? Should have gave him a finders  fee also.

Eaglewis

Being new, like I always say, can you direct me to the post/posts that give the benefits of reupholstering vs.buying new? I am asked by"my friends" who I tell about my new adventure, they ask"what would such n such cost?" I tell them and I have to step over their jaws as I walk away from blank stares.

On another note, and should probably be a separate thread, but, I am trying to think of names for my new business. Came up with some decent ones but the one I really like, the wife thinks is"stupid.I don't get it." Its "That's Tuft Upholstery". Huh? Cool or what? She still don't get it even after showing her what tufting is. Oh well, back to the old drawing board.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Wade

mike802

June 01, 2012, 06:19:37 am #4 Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 11:04:36 am by mike802
I believe you Sofa, I have had to many people come in to my shop with similar results.  Like the lady that wanted to know if she dropped her wing chair off in the morning if she could have it back that afternoon.  Or all the people who think I stock all the fabric that I have in my sample books.

I think all the cheep junk from China has warped peoples sense of monetary reality in just what the value of human labor is worth, especially in the good ol us of a and especially highly skilled artistic labor.  But really, 28 bucks, some people just dont know how to think anymore.  If they used their eyes and the brain God gave them and the knowledge of what a plumber, mechanic, or any trade professional has to charge these days I think they would have known better.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

baileyuph

Dennis I believe you.  I too, went through something like that with a gym business.  The business is loaded with expensive covered springing and landing equipment that needs repair.  Of course that is why I was brought in but the surprise was they thought that something like that was merely like sewing a little patch here or there.  Not!  The stuff is filled with several inches/ft of foam and would never go under a machine without dismantling everything.  These are business people and you should have seen their reaction when a small indication was revealed as to what the requirement is.

I suggested they repace the coverings and such and they said that was very expensive.  People!

Doyle

lruthb

I am never amazed at what people come up with. Having customers think things can be turned around  within the day is the biggest one I encounter. Their statement of " you can just fit it in? " my responce is if the furniture I have in the shop was yours would you appreciate " fitting in others before yours was done ?

The " I can get it done for less elsewhere " I reply " that maybe your best option "

Oh then comes the " it's just a little hole" that turns out to be a 6 x 6 needed repair / replace. When you tell them it needs to be replaced and the piece needs to be tore down and some fabric selected, they still expect that you can miraculously make it good. They obviously know more about upholstery than I do. It's like they have poor hearing.

The last one I can think of right now is with scheduling jobs. When all is said and done I tell them when I would be able to start the piece. At that time I let them know their place will only be scheduled if they put 1/2 down. This is mostly to ensure they get the fabric that's wanted. ( Burch ) The ones whom are serious have no problem. Guess what? Never amazes me, the non committed come back with some problem I never told them, I said such and such a date, Last but not least is the customer whom you called on last year ( or longer ) expecting the same labor and fabric now.

I'm sure everybody has many more.

Mojo

The ones I hate are the liars. I had a call last week from a guy who inquired about fabric replacement for an Omega awning. He said he contacted carefree and they quoted him $ 250.

I knew the story was BullS**t. Carefree quit supporting this awning and no longer makes fabric replacements for them. Secondly, if Carefree did make this guy an replacement it would be 2 to 3 times that amount.

I told him he probably better call them back and order it because I couldn't come close to that price and my price would be much more then that. Just as I was saying goodbye he interjected
" well how much would your price be then ? ".

Bingo..........he never talked to them, had a price in mind and was hoping I would price match based on his BS story. Sorry Charlie I do not price match with anyone. My prices are what they are. Pay it or go elsewhere and if you do find it cheaper you better be wondering why it is less expensive. :)

Chris

bobbin

Oh I believe every word.  I also think you're perceptive in your understanding of how naive some customers are about the amount of time and work involved in the project.  I get the same shocked replies when I quote fees for clothing alteration/construction.  My "default" settings are:
1.)  You are paying me for my time and hard won expertise.  Not the time to do the sewing.
2.)  I cannot compete with factories, esp. those in SE Asia.  Nor do I wish to, that's not my "game".  "Custom" implies time and care and it costs money. 

I gave a woman a quote a month ago for redoing 4 fully corded, boxed cushions that also had an inner spring unit in them, and 4 corded, "knife edge" pillows with Turkish corners.  The upholstery was nearly 80 yrs. old, and very weak although still in "sittable" condition.  There were issues with the innerspring units (it felt like sitting on a Boston Cream pie!), and I knew the feathers in the pillows would need new casings too, but since there were no zippers on the cushions I couldn't open and inspect one easily.  I knew new materials would be required and gave the estimate with the caveat that it was probably high but that I had to quote it that way to cover myself in the event more repair work was required.  I was shocked at the number, too, but I'm in business to make money and workin' for minimum wage isn't part of that plan!  Predictably, she was shocked and declined to have me do the work.  I immediately had that gnawing worry that I should have made the quote more tempting... then quickly corrected myself!  I know how much time goes into doing a good job.  And I'd rather do something for myself, work in the garden, or hustle more business that's frankly easier to estimate and do! 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on June 02, 2012, 06:18:48 am
I immediately had that gnawing worry that I should have made the quote more tempting...   
The only way that I see that you could've handled it differently, was to offer 2 options.
Option 1: Cover them "as is", and leave the cream pie filling.
Option 2: Complete restoration (with the quote that you gave them).

Of course, giving a customer a cheaper option can be a slippery slope. More than likely they'll go for the cheaper one, and then blame you later when it doesn't hold up.

As long as you've got gardening that you'd rather be doing, and a Boston Cream pie in the pantry (instead of the cushion), probably best not to give them a cheaper way out.

BTW, BCP is my absolute favorite dessert!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I love Boston Cream doughnuts. :)

Chris