Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 10, 2024, 02:25:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

I know who butters my bread

Started by sofadoc, May 30, 2012, 04:15:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I just got off the phone with a lady complaining about a leather sofa/loveseat that she bought from Aaron's.
She said that she paid over $2000 for it, and the leather is flaking off. After talking to her for a few minutes, I realized that 2 grand was the total sum of monthly payments that she had made (including interest). So in reality, the set actually cost much less. I tried to tactfully explain to her that she had probably "got what she paid for".
She wasn't hearing of it. She wanted me to come inspect the pieces and tell her why they were defective so she could sue Aaron's. Since doing repair work for Aaron's practically put my kids through college, I'm not interested in taking her side against them.
Whaddya gonna do?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Ageorge

I once had a lady bring in a couch cushion that she got from a lease to purchase store. She said it had a worm in it and she wanted me to indentify the worm and advise her how to take care of it. Then she wanted me to cut foam for it and stuff new foam into the couch she just purchased. I had to tell her mulitple times to please remove the cushion (and not take the foam out of the cover and show me the worm ) from my shop full of other people's furniture and that I wasn't an exterminator, nor could I identify worms or bugs in furniture.  We also tried to politely tell her that she got what she paid for :)
sort of off topic, sorry, but I would have done the same if I were in your shoes.

DBR1957

Sofadoc - I would tell you can't render an opinion without consulting an
attorney first to make sure you wouldn't be in "Conflict of interest" since
you perform services for Aaron's. Another thing is your opinion may be useless
unless you are an expert in the methods of processing leather.

The first problem is she bought it from Aaron's. I don't think the furniture they
carry is of the highest caliber is it?

sofadoc

Quote from: DBR1957 on May 30, 2012, 06:05:50 pm
Another thing is your opinion may be useless
unless you are an expert in the methods of processing leather.
The only opinion that I WOULD have is, it's cheap leather (if in fact it's even leather at all).

Quote from: DBR1957 on May 30, 2012, 06:05:50 pm
The first problem is she bought it from Aaron's. I don't think the furniture they
carry is of the highest caliber is it?
That may be the understatement of the century (but you didn't hear that from ME ;))

The bottom line is: After subtracting finance charges, she probably paid about a grand for a leather sofa and loveseat. And the leather was flaking off just as the last payment came due?
Go figure.

gene

How would you like to be subpenaed for a 3 week trial. Everyday you had to show up to court and wait to be called as a witness. Ouch!

I'd be doing my Sargent Schultz impersonation: "I see nothing!"

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

What has Aaron's done that violated the sales agreement?

Everything has a warranty agreement or no agreement at all.  A lawyer , to take this case, will have to make an argument for the customer.  I would doubt that Aaron's has made or even implied in the customer agreement anything that puts them liable for the woman's concern. 

Simple issues first:  If there was a warranty when the item was sold, did the seller provide service according to the warranty?  Is it still in effect?

Another simple issue, what did the seller say or imply in writing about the integrity of the material?  Did the sale even say the material was leather?  Genuine leather?  Processed leather?  or simulated leather . 

I assume the warranty is out and the lady is just heated and would not pay a lawyer to press the issue.  Wouldn't one think that the lady is smart enough to know that if the lawyer fees are more than the cost of replacing the problem furniture with new, then what is she to gain?  Is she suing for the value of the item or is there collateral damage going on?  One would doubt the latter.

Most furniture like that will not bear a label promising that leather is being bought.  Sometimes in the fine print of tagging or even advertising the material type will be referenced as processed leather and wouldn't have more than a two year warranty.  The warranty would be clarified in the sales agreement. 

This lady is in a huff, probably couldn't get a lawyer to take the case on its own merit (meaning the lady will be willing to pay the lawyer win or lose).  Her own hope is there is some warranty left and the good will of Aaron.  Because she won't find a label promising her more than she bought. 

A lot of issues like this will turn out better if the lady has held up her end of the contract and tries to work with the vendor, not with threats.

If the furniture is relatively new and peeling is surfacing, she could be a contributor (who knows what she has poured or wiped or had contact with the sofa material?  All of those are doubts in mind but the seller will usually bend considerably is things are well within warranty or even close if it is out.

Pets, did the furniture get exposure to pets.  In current times, a lot of people have pets and they can damage things with their claws/feet or whatever.

If I was a lawyer, I would starve taking cases like this on their own merit.

Let us know the outcome if you hear,

Doyle

sofadoc

Yeah, such a dispute would never come to court. But I certainly have no intention of saying anything that the lady could quote me on as she argues with the Aaron's people.
It probably wasn't represented as leather anyway. That's just HER version.
I couldn't make her understand that finance charges do NOT count toward the value of the furniture. If that's the case, I guess I'm driving a $30K truck. ;D