Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:01:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Upholstering in Camel Leather

Started by TheHogRing, May 19, 2012, 09:27:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Long gone are the days when camel was just a color - now you can actually upholster in their skin! The National recently sat down with Jean-Marie Gigante, French leather-science expert, to talk about the benefits of upholstering in camel leather and where you can get it.

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/7u3y6dq

baileyuph

What justifies the reason to use camel skins?  I mean is there a practical benefit?
Doyle

kodydog

May 20, 2012, 06:12:33 am #2 Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:18:03 am by kodydog
The National writes:

Camel hide...has 10 times as many fibers per square centimeter as cow hide, which helps protect the animal in the extreme environments that it traditionally inhabits. "As a result, you get a leather that is extremely durable and extremely tough, with a higher tear strength than normal leather," Gigante explains. "You also have a nice pattern that is unique to the animal, which I find extremely attractive."

Besides wouldn't you like to be cruising down the road in your Porsche Boxter with your fine lady by your side, and when she says, nice leather, you can say, yeah its camel. (A guy can dream can't he)

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

If you have a rear wheel drive car, a dromedary (one hump) camel hide will lay on the floor better than a cow hide.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

TheHogRing

It seems to me that camel hides have more practical use than ostrich or alligator, which are more about aesthetics.

Then again, I guess a lot of our industry is based on aesthetics.