Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 02, 2024, 05:48:58 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Had a lady stop by with a worn BMW convertable top today...

Started by Pegasus2007, May 13, 2012, 03:07:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus2007

We had a lady stop by with her convertable BMW today that had blown out stitching everywhere.  She had been to an auto reupholsterer and was told that he could make her a new one for $1600.00.  She told me she went online and found one but when she approached him about installing it, he said he would have to charge her $800.00.  I peeked inside to see how it attached and all I can say is "You car upholstery guys (and gals) earn your money!"  I wouldn't know that first thing about how to approach a job like that.  We kindly sent her on her way.  The prices sounded fine to me.     

ahkahn

The pre made tops come with a book time and installation instructions (who reads those!).  The pricing for BMW tops are in that range - $600-$800.  The book time is between 9-12 hours depending on the top... so $800 is a decent labor price for a Beamer top.

-Andrew

Mike

I'd like to find a nice convertible maybe a mustang  and I'd try installing a top. Just to say I have

Grebo

I have this women that keeps coming by & coming up with great idea's how I can replace the burnt out window in her convertible. I am getting really ticked off with it. I have explained so many times that the whole roof has to come off & I ain't doing it. 
So far she's come up with self adhesive Velcro, staples, hand sewing...   >:(  Go away.

I gave her the phone number of the only car guy I know of, 3 times now, I guess she does really know what it's going to cost.

Suzi

DBR1957

Like a fellow canvas guy used to say, "If it was easy, everyone would be doing it"

bobbin

There isn't much in the world that irritates me as quickly as someone who brings in a repair/alteration and says, "It'll be really easy.  You just have to do... ".  Here is my stock reply:  "Sounds like you have it all figured out.  C'mon back when you've done it, I can't wait to see how it worked out for you.". 

I've never seen one come back with the fruits of their labor.   ;)