Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

July 01, 2024, 04:12:39 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Convertible top late 80's mustang

Started by Darren Henry, May 12, 2012, 09:40:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Henry

Hey auto guys/gals ; need a little help please. My fat bi-polar diaper has me installing a Robbin's ™ convertible top on a 83-93 Mustang. My issue is with the cables down the sides. The listings are so small that I had to cut the cables out of the old top and trying to pass them into the new top is akin to pushing a soft ball through a garden hose. Ain't happening. I tried heating the "mushroom" on the front end, hoping it was just soldered on, to the point of cherry red. It's still on there.

His idea is to cut off the mushroom and crimp on a cable clamp. The ones that look like a figure 8 in profile and then you crimp or pound them over 1 or 2 pieces of cable. Will this work? Do I need to relocate the bracket that the spring hooks to at the back to relieve some of the tension?

Thanks in advance  :-* :-*

D-Day

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

baileyuph

Wow!

Robbins products are one of the best, this might deserve a call to them, if you do let us know.  Very unusual.

Doyle

DCAutoUpholstery

The side cables for this car are attached at the jammer with a screw through the spring and on the header bow with the ball end passed through the metal and a rubber grommet holding it in place.  Leave the spring side attached and remove the grommet to get the front of the cable detached.  Pass a coat hanger through the front of the listing to the back.  Bend the end of the hanger over the cable just beneath the ball and carefully pull the hanger out.  It will take the cable with it. 

You can widen the entrance and exit sides of the listing by cutting it slightly bigger with a pair of scissors. 

Hope this helps