Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:09:26 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Universal Sewing Supply

Started by bobbin, June 14, 2012, 12:28:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

Do any of  you have an account with them?  I am curious about the terms of your account.

bobbin

I would like to order a couple of items from their catalogue and certainly have no need of an "open" account the way a large manufacturing operation would.  I was very surprised by their request that I photo copy not only my credit card but also my driver's license!  I have accounts with a number of suppliers and never have I ever been asked for that sort of thing.  Does that sound a strange to you as it did to me?

sofadoc

June 14, 2012, 12:59:48 pm #2 Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:06:58 pm by sofadoc
I don't even understand why they would NEED a photo of your credit card. If the number is valid, they'll know in a nanosecond when they try to run it.
Are you trying to open a "wholesale" account? Or just trying to order stuff?
Either way, I've never heard of such a thing. And no supplier has ever asked for a photo of my driver's liscense.
They're not going to send out the goods until the card goes through anyway. And it isn't like you're some stranger off the street trying to cash a check at a grocery store.
I don't get it.
If they're worried that you're using a stolen CC, they'll be the first retailer in history that gives a rip. As long as the number goes through, most places don't care even if the card has Osama Bin Laden's name on it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Well that's sort of the way I see it, too, Sofa..  I declined to do either of those 2 things yesterday and today contacted the credit office and asked about that.  Apparently, if you haven't registered an account on-line they have to do that... (whatever). 

I'm now officially registered and no such foolishness is "required" (go figure).  It seems like a fair piece of work to order something I need that is a lot cheaper there than elsewhere but for the money I'm willing to "do the work".  Incidentally, some of their prices for equipment are fabulous, but other items are no real bargain if you're willing to shop around a bit.  Still, they look to be a decent resource. 

I'll keep you posted on the "real skinny". 

Mojo

It will be a cold day in hell before I photo copy my license and CC to send to someone so I can buy products from them.

They can accept my business the way 98 % of other businesses do or go pound sand.

Ridiculous.

Chris

kodydog

Most suppliers we deal with just want your tax number and a credit card or check. Some may want to do COD for the first transaction and some will set up an account after that. Some will do a credit check.

My wife has become friends with the office manager of the supplier we currently deal with. She has told us stories about collecting on bad checks and over due accounts. PITA.

I can see why a supplier would want to cover their butt, but the photo copy stuff is over the top. I'm with Mojo, tell them to pound sand.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I've become friends with several of my travelling fabric/supply salesmen. Back in the day, they called on every "shadetree" upholsterer in every podunk "bump in the road".
I've heard lots of stories from them about deadbeat, jakeleg morons who called themselves upholsterers. The only real talent they had, was inventing creative reasons why they couldn't pay their bill.
Not so much anymore. Not only are there fewer salesmen, but they are much more selective about who they give an open account to.
25-30 years ago, I had suppliers give me an open account over the phone by just giving them my name, address, and phone #.

I think that the main reason that things are so different now, is my contention that "wholesale pricing" doesn't really exist anymore. There isn't anything that a wholesale supplier sells to us in the trade that the "Average Joe" off the street can't buy himself for the same price somewhere online. They may have to poke around from site to site for a while, but if they do their due diligence, they'll find it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I was clear about my reticence to photocopy or "scan" anything when I spoke with the lovely woman in the credit department.  I have established an account with them without any of that foolishness.  Had they insisted I'd have told them to "pound sand", too!  It weirded me out, frankly; thanks for backing me up. 

And I have ordered a needed item from them; one that was considerably more expensive from other vendors.  They have much to offer! but one would be wise to "shop the competition" before placing an order.  I shopped several vendors for the item in question and the "wild card" was the cost of freight.  Nowadays freight is considerable. 

baileyuph

My how things have changed, there is a Universal in our area, I think all I ever had to do to buy was just fork over the cash.

They used to have a great catalog.

Doyle

mike802

Giving them a photo copy of your credit card and your drivers license means they are just one step away from steeling your identity.  If someone in the company knows someone in the right place they may be able to find out your ss # with this info and bingo, your identity is toast.  I would be suspicious and you may have caught them in the act, if it was me I would buy somewhere else, even it they were giving the stuff away.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com