Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:11:42 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Does anyone have a disclaimer I can use?

Started by cthomps, June 08, 2012, 09:02:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I am doing my bid on the restaurant booths and  I think I should include the..... "Well I think it is gonna cost you this much unless..... the foam all needs replacing, the wood is rotten and the springs are shot" statement.  If anyone has any advice or wording, again I would really appreciate the help.  Thanks.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

sofadoc

This is where it gets tough for an upholsterer who is bidding a big job that's "out of their comfort zone".
After you've done a few jobs like that, you won't be as apprehensive about possible pitfalls.
And some of the little snafus that you encounter the first time won't really seem like snafus the next time. It's just that uncertain "fear of the unknown".
Until you've got a few of those type jobs under your belt, I would suggest that instead of a carefully worded disclaimer, just make 2 estimates. One that covers all new everything, and the other a "bare bones" bid. If he chooses the cheapest route (likely), then he gets what he pays for. Just make sure that he understands that. If he has the 2 options before him, he has only himself to blame if they need redoing in the very near future.

I think that you said that others are also bidding on the job. This makes things a little tricky, because the other guys may just tell him what he wants to hear, and then give him a bare minimum job.

I'm interested to hear what the others here think. In past discussions, I get the impression that most everyone else is WAY more in to legal "Mumbo Jumbo" than I am. :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I have a couple that I rarely use.   

The first is when a customer takes a photo on their cell phone and sends it to me.   Sometimes it's hard to tell if it is a chair or table, or something else:
" Estimate based on photos sent to me.  More extensive damage, concealed damage, or unclear damage may require more."

second:
"As needed for major unbid repairs  or concealed damage. Shop time @ $x / hr, not to exceed 20% of total charges without prior authorization."   -- this is similar to what I sign when I take a car into the shop for repair.

I'm not extremely happy with either of these, but use them rarely to CMA.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

cthomps

I'm kind of a "no guts, no glory" girl and not really into the legal stuff either.  I just don't want to end up eating added expenses because I cant determine the condition of the pieces before tear down.  I some how want to quietly mention this to the customer.  I was thinking something like...

"This is an estimate only.  Expenses may be incurred do to the unseen condition of your furniture pieces.  Additional supplies and labor may be required."

Thank you for all the advice.  Carol

gene

June 08, 2012, 01:37:32 pm #4 Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:42:32 pm by gene
Howdy,

This is on the bottom of all my Estimates. I type it here for your perusal, as fast as my tired fingers can type.

I got it from Stephen Winters' estimate, with a few changes to meet my specific needs. He's on this forum occasionally. Google for his web site. He puts A LOT!!! of good stuff on his web site.

Disclaimer: Your use of the following disclaimer indicates your willingness to accept all responsibility for said disclaimer. You further agree to hold the poster of said disclaimer free from any claims of disclaimer liability. Void where prohibited. Not valid in Puerto Rico on Thursdays.

Prices quoted are for labor only, unless otherwise stated. We will discuss with you first any additional charges due to unforeseen damage, repairs, and materials that my be necessary with furniture upholstery. All work is to be delivered or picked up at the time of completion, unless other arrangements have been mutually agreed upon. Thank you.

Good luck.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

cthomps

Thanks everyone!  Gene, that is what I was looking for.  Again, thanks for all the help.  I will let you know how it goes.