Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:53:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

1st pontoon redo. Measuring advice.

Started by cthomps, April 30, 2012, 12:50:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I am still trying to move away from party dresses! 

Some friends of mine are going to let me practice on their pontoon.  I figure I have to start some where, and they are willing to wait for me to get it right. 

I will be replacing all the vinyl.  With that being said, what is the best and most efficient way to measure and figure fabric requirements?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.  Carol

"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

MinUph

cthomps,
  Being your first job. The most precise way to figure fabric yardage is to measure each piece you will need. On a boat add a couple inches each direction to be sure. Vinyl is 54" wide so take your measurements and lay them out on paper to see what will fit withing the 54" width. You will find some pieces will cut along side others. As an example part#1 measures 25 x 23 and part # 15 measures 24 x 31. You can get both pieces out of a 25" cut up the roll. Do this as best as you can and add the numbers together divide by 36 and you will know how many yards are needed. Add a couple of yards for waist and mistakes. After you do this for a few years you will be able to look at something and figure it in your head. Roughly anyway. Fabrics and vinyls are more expensive now a days so figuring is important. You can always order more but its a PITA to have to to. I rather have some left over than be short.
  If this will be multiple colors remember to note what color the measurement is for.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

cthomps

Thank you.  It seems very time consuming, but I will do it as you suggest.  We have alot of boats here in Wisconsin, and I want to do a really good job.  I understand your experience comment.  I could easily tell you how much chiffon, you would need for a party dress!  Thanks again.  Carol
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."