Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:31:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing Machine

Started by Eaglewis, April 27, 2012, 08:05:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Eaglewis

Hello All!

I am looking to purchase a machine. I am newish to the craft of upholstery but not to sewing (THANKS MOM!) Anyway, i have a question about a Thompson portable industrial walking foot machine. What does a guy pay for one of these, says it runs great and just had it serviced. Are they dependable? I have a limited budget ($200-$300 for a machine) and am having a hard time finding info on inexpensive, dependable starter sewing machines. I have a '64 Singer machine and it does a decent job on 2-3 layers of Joanne fabric "upholstery" fabrics. This machine would be just a "starter", unless it is good enough for all the time, everytime.

sofadoc

Chris (Mojo) hated his Thompson. Maybe he'll pop on soon.

Check your local Craigslist for models such as :
Singer 111 W
Consew 206
Juki Lu-562, 563
But at a budget of $300, the pickin's are gonna be slim.

Quote from: Eaglewis on April 27, 2012, 08:05:28 pm
This machine (THOMPSON) would be just a "starter", unless it is good enough for all the time, everytime.

Starter.....maybe.    All the time everytime........NO.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Eaglewis

Thanks sofadoc. I did find a Singer 1111W153. They want $500. I know that is probably a decent price but that would take up everything I have right now. Was hoping to get a few more supplies but guess that could wait a little longer.

Eaglewis

One other thing. Are all industrial machines walking foot machines? What is the difference between lock stitch and straight stitch machines? Ok, I know that's two things, not one, but your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade (Future Upholstery King of Wisconsin) ;D Just kidding, if I get half as good as the work I've seen here, I will be one lucky man. Your works are incredible and inspiring.

sofadoc

No, all industrial machines are not walking foot machines.
There are many high speed straight stitch machines designed for garment factories.
A Juki DDL-5550 is an example of one. It has only 1 foot that basically goes up and down.
A walking foot machine has 2 feet that "walk" alternatingly.

Walking foot machines are more suited for feeding heavier weight upholstery fabrics, including vinyl and leather. And there is a greater number of options for welt (cording) feet.
It's possible to sew corded cushions with a straight stitch machine, but it is a real struggle.

If the machine has a 3450 RPM motor, it is a high speed garment machine.
Walking foot machines are better geared for 1725 RPM motors.

So, if you only see 1 foot and a 3450 motor, keep away.

What kind of upholstery work do you plan on doing to start out?

Eaglewis

So far I have done 2 chairs, some padded bar rails, some restaraunt seats that were already sewn and a toy box that looks like a mini sofa, that was kind of fun. I want to eventually be able to do everything. I truly love this work. I am just sad that I did not discover it earlier. To start I am going to focus on furniture and then move into marine and then into auto. I want to learn everything, I know it is a lot of work vut I am definately up for it. I have projects waiting and as soon as I rehab my recently surgically repaired shoulder, I am going to be all over them. Those range from atv seats to a diamond tuffted chair to 2 recliners. I have read a lot of books and viewed a lot of video, all I need now is the hands on. This is my destiny and my dream. And I am going to catch this dream.

sofadoc

Quote from: Eaglewis on April 27, 2012, 11:26:12 pm
This is my destiny and my dream. And I am going to catch this dream.
Always good to hear of someone who has the passion for this work. If you've truly been bitten by the upholstery bug, don't let budgetary constraints stop you from getting the right machine.

Do you have a local sewing machine dealer? If you do, go in and test drive a walking foot machine such as a Juki, Consew, Pfaff, or Chandler. Once you do, you'll throw rocks at the guy that's trying to sell you that Thompson.

Good luck. Keep us posted of your progress. Don't try to compete in price with the cheapo furniture.
If it ain't worth doing.....it ain't worth doing. You CAN make some easy money "just fixing" the cheap stuff. It may not satisfy your sense of accomplishment, but it'll pay the bills until more meaningfull work comes in.

Tejas

When asked about compound walking-foot sewing machines, I usually refer folks to these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewing_machine#Feed_mechanisms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QjJgJKKVM

Do click on "show more" on the youtube video.
Dave

Juki 1508; Bernina 217 with CAM Reader

sofadoc

Tejas: That's a great youtube link for illustrating the walking motion on a walking foot machine.

Eaglewis: Watch that video, and then watch this one to see the difference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXFDuKSlD3w&feature=related

kodydog

Welcome to the forum Eaglewis. If you post what part of the country you are from their may be someone on here, near you, that has a good machine for sale. Just a thought. Good luck. And feel free to ask lots of questions.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

BigJohn

Wade:
     The 111W153 is very similar to the 111W155 that many much newer machines have been modeled after, the 153 if my memory serves me right doesn't have as much lift as the more popular 155 and of course it doesn't have reverse. Reverse isn't a must have but in time you'll miss the extra lift the 155 would give you. I sold a 153 here in Central Wisconsin a couple of years ago for $350, and I would expect to pay $500 to $600 for a serviceable 155, servo motor and or a new stand would up the price. Just my 2 cents worth.

BigJohn

Eaglewis

Thank you all for the clarifications and definitions, HUGE help! After all that, I think I have my machine conundrum solved. The couple that has been mentoring me said they would sell me their back-up Consew walking foot machine, complete with motor and table, for $500. I have not seen it yet, nor have I paid anything. It is a 205 or 206rb something (I forget right off, but have seen the model they have now in action and it is the model right before) Any thoughts on this machine? I am super stoked! This couple is awesome and really helping me get rolling, can not thank them enough.

Thanks kodydog, for the welcome. I live in north central Wisconsin, a city called Wausau.

Thanks BigJohn, I was typing when you posted and hopefully have my machine. I might have almost bought the 153 you sold. Where in central WI are you?

sofadoc

Quote from: Eaglewis on April 28, 2012, 07:11:20 pm
The couple that has been mentoring me said they would sell me their back-up Consew walking foot machine, complete with motor and table, for $500.

It is a 205 or 206rb something

Any thoughts on this machine?
Fine machine that will last you as long as you want it to.
If you were buying from a total stranger on Craigslist, I'd say that $500 might be a little high (depending on age, condition). But since you are buying from people you trust who will help you get acclimated to it, $500 sounds reasonable. I fully understand that since they're selling their backup machine, they have to be adequately compensated.

Mojo

The Thompson I had ( called a Tuffsew under a different brand ) was a royal PITA. I spoent more time fighting it, adjusting it and fixing it then I did sewing with it.

The Consew 206rb is a great machine. Parts are plentiful and the attachments ( welt feet, etc. ) are everywhere and dirt cheap.

Brand new the 206rb5 goes for about $ 1,200 so if it is in good shape then you wont get hurt buying it for $ 500. Many shops rely on the 206 as their workhorse. They are rugged and dependable and a great all around machine able to perform a multitude of tasks.

Stay away from the Thompson unless you love to tinker and work on things. :)

Best of luck with your new adventure.

Chris

Eaglewis

machine is a 226 rb 1. Hope it's still a good deal.