Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 01:27:02 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Reinforcing snap on vinyl cover

Started by MinUph, April 25, 2012, 07:13:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Not being all that familiar with boat work I have a question. I made a cover for our sundeck. I cut the length to its finished size and plan on binding the edge and then installing the snaps. Normal. My question is what and how many layers of fabric should reinforce this area with. I though a layer of sunbrella and a second layer of vinyl over that, all on the inside. Does this sound sufficient?
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

timtheboatguy

Phil,
That should work fine, I typically use vinyl truck tarp material to reinforce snaps.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Textiles/Vinyl_(Boat_Tops_and_Tarps)/RSI_18_oz_Vinyl_Coated_Fabric/index.html

Also, I use poly webbing on my pontoon covers for snap reinforcement.
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

JuneC

I've gotten in the habit of using scraps of clear window vinyl sandwiched between 2 layers of Sunbrella - the outer cover and a 2" facing.  I'm a lazy boater and like to be able to stand at one end of the boat and just pull.  I can get about 8 or 10 snaps at a time to disengage without damaging the cover in any way.  This does require marking the cover before sewing on the facing so you know where to put the glass.  I also round off the corners because they can be quite sharp. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

DBR1957

Just use polypro webbing. Or you could lay binding flat. If you use any kind of vinyl
the shrink factor risk is high. However, you are in the warmer part of the country
so that may not be a factor.

The better jobs I've see where they face with Sunbrella usually have dacron tape
sandwiched in between.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

I and ive read other here ive read just bind th edge with webing along the edge i use 1" as it curves better then 2"  buind i then sewn the opisite edge of the webbing down ive never had a problen rupping it up as June doese thew ony thig ive seen happen is after tim ethe roll in the snap cap thet holds the snap together umpolls and the two pieces will seperate usualy with the socket still on the stud on the boat