Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 31, 2024, 07:11:19 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question about boat cover

Started by slow96z, April 16, 2012, 02:47:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

slow96z

I'm thinking about making a snap on cover for my boat, since it already has snaps on it.  The question is, would it be stupid to make it (at least a test run) out of the silver tarps available for cheap at most China tool places?  The reason I ask is 2 fold:  1, I have them already, and 2, if it didn't work out I would not be out the cost of canvas or Sunbrella.

I know I can get it cut and edges/seams right, but how difficult is it to line up existing snaps?

Opinions?

Justin

JuneC

Not sure I understand your question about lining up snaps.  Do the tarps already have snaps on the edges that you want to line up with snaps that are already on the boat?  For an experiment until you're ready to dive into more expensive fabrics, I see no reason to not use the tarps.  The tensile strength might be questionable, so use a very long stitch length. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

MinUph

Not a bad idea to use the tarps to practice with. Make the cover a few inches large at the edges so you can fit and trim the excess. Lining up the snaps with the existing once shouldn't be all that difficult. I think that the snaps are placed on the cover first in general. Not sure but it would make sense. But working in reverse should be fine. The tarps are pretty strong just make sure to seam it well with top stitching to make the seams hold better.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

Using a tarp for practice is a fine idea. When I make a cover I put the snaps in the tarp after it's all sewn and done. I put the tarp on the boat and mark the snaps through the cloth with chalk. Ive heard of people putting snaps in on the table having marked the snaps on the pattern, but that's not for me. I've made a couple covers out of that cheapo tarp material it works fine. Your only going to get a year or so out of it though. By then you'll have it figured out enough to use good stuff.

Good luck!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

slow96z

Thanks everybody.  I have never worked with snaps, are there any tricks I should know before starting?

MinUph

Quote from: slow96z on April 17, 2012, 06:34:15 am
Thanks everybody.  I have never worked with snaps, are there any tricks I should know before starting?

You might want to sew some stiffener in the seam where the snaps will go. I piece of strong fabric will do. It will help support the snaps. Use a tool to install them as doing it with a hand setter is a real PITA. Use Stainless snaps if your going to use the top for long.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

DBR1957

Lay tarp over boat.

Mark fasteners (snaps), pleats, reinforcement patches over sharp corners, etc.

Cut out and sew with webbing around perimeter for strength where snaps go.

Take finished cover to boat and lay over.

Install front center snap in cover and attach to boat.

Install back center snap in cover and attach to boat.

Mark and install snaps in corners in cover and attach to boat.

Mark and install snaps at center point on sides and attach to boat.

Mark and install remainder of snaps.

When marking snap placement be sure to manipulate the cover so it lays properly.

Snaps should never be installed in a cover on the table always at the boat.

Snaps should always be installed on the boat first to get them evenly
spaced and in line with the edges of the boat.

I can always tell if a cover was installed with snaps in cover first because the snap
line on the boat looks terrible.

slow96z

Great response, I appreciate it!

Highvelocity

Make sure you put your pleats/darts in before you cut and web it.  The darts will shorten it.
Boats Love Hundred Dollar Bills

kodydog

I'm not a boat person but I have used those silver tarps for dining fly's and to cover utility trailers and they don't last much longer than one year, in the sun and weather. The tarps truckers use last a little longer.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html