Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 05, 2024, 09:35:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Is a Messy Shop Costing You Money?

Started by TheHogRing, April 12, 2012, 10:13:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Though upholsterers work in an industry of aesthetics, we sometimes allow our shops to get messy. Sloppiness around the shop, however, can affect our businesses in ways that we may have never imagined. Jay Conrad Levinson describes this in his book Guerrilla Marketing Weapons.

The following excerpt really stood out to me: http://tinyurl.com/7rp5n5u

Thoughts?

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

April 12, 2012, 01:09:58 pm #1 Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:52:53 pm by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
It's a funny thing how people can relate things that have nothing to do with one another.

For example, if a steward leaves an airplane passenger seat soiled with debris, they may think that the jet is lacking in matince, and thus, less safe. Of course, engine maintaince has nothing to do with this, but some folks will perceive things this way.

Kind of like how some folks will look at your messy shop and wonder how you can fix or make their stuff if you can't keep your own shop in order. Again, one does not impact the other, but some will see it this way, fair or unfair.

bobbin

I watch the amount of time my boss wastes attempting to locate "missing" items and shifting one pile of leftover patterns and scraps to another location and I just shake my head and wonder why the debris from one job isn't taken care of before the next job is started.  It never fails, eventually the clutter has to be cleaned up but it always happens after considerable time has been wasted by not doing so in a timely manner.  That is time that can never be recovered!

I find it particularly irritating when I have to clean off a debris covered space to begin my work in the morning.  I do only the minimal amount of cleaning, leaving the mess for my boss and co-worker.  I was told a couple of years ago that I "was paid to clean up" to which I tartly replied that I clean my work area every single day!  I also added that if I wanted to be a Merry Maid I'd buy a franchise!  I will not be a defacto maid to my boss and co-worker.  Slovenliness sends a poor message to your customers, esp. when you're charging top dollar for new work.  JMO

sofadoc

I'm much better about cleaning up not only between jobs, but during jobs than I used to be. I don't consider my shop to be immaculate at all. But I've had customers tell me that my place is a palace compared to some of the shops they've been in.

I actually owe my improved work habits to reading posts and viewing pics on this forum.
But the bottom line is, tearing down couches is a sloppy business. So my shop isn't always gonna be a Taj Mahal when you walk in.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

And I agree, Sofa..  When work is actually being performed and it involves old fabric, crumbling foam, tattered canvas and shattered plastic a certain amount of debris is to be expected.  Leaving all that debris lying around on work benches and the floor for a week or more is another story entirely.  And when all that debris buries important tools, work orders, stymies a very productive worker and foments resentment while wasting precious time there is a problem. 

More than one customer has looked at me and asked me how we get anything done in the shop.  I smile and say something benign but the fact that customers say that speaks volumes about the level of accumulated grime and clutter.  It's one of the reasons I've worked so hard to keep my own shop picked up and it's another reason I've made my tables easy to roll out of the way to make cleaning the place as painless as it can be. 

DBR1957

Silly me! I always thought a messy shop was a sign a great craftmanship. You do
such good work that you're constantly busy and don't have time to clean up.

I better go mess up the shop so customers think I do excellent work.

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on April 12, 2012, 02:37:41 pm
if I wanted to be a Merry Maid I'd buy a franchise!
Speaking of Merry Maids, here's a franchise I'm thinkin' about investing in:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/nude-naked-maid-service-texas-fantasy_n_1417947.html

Only in Texas!

gene

"Investing" or "purchasing their services"? Get her to clean your shop - she'd be the first Texan to file for workers comp because of an injury caused when a tack found it's way down her thong.

The good part is that no one, other than the wife, would care if she was so dumb that she couldn't pout piss out of a boot...

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Did someone say " Clean shops " ?   :o

The joke around here is that a few members have threatened to come over and mess my shop up or misplace my tools for me just to send me into OCD fits. :)

I cannot handle dirt, clutter or a mess. There is not enough Xanax to keep me from going out of my mind when things get cluttered.

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x200/throgmartin/Up%20Shop/?action=view&current=Shopdecorations1.jpg

Yes, I admit I am a wacko when it comes to a clean shop. I have even went as far as decorating it with antiques. I like a little bit of homey feel in there instead of that " Shop " feel. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on April 12, 2012, 06:56:35 pm
she'd be the first Texan to file for workers comp because of an injury caused when a tack found it's way down her thong.
You obviously don't know us Texans very well. I found tacks in my thong 3 times just last week alone ;D
Quote from: gene on April 12, 2012, 06:56:35 pm
no one, other than the wife, would care if she was so dumb that she couldn't pout piss out of a boot
I'm assuming there's a typo there?  ???

jojo

Thanks for posting this, Hogring.  I have a messy (not dirty) shop, and it's killing me. The problem is the size, mostly. Like I've run out of room on my rack for fabric, so there are rolls propped up in corners. And I'm constantly tripping over the compressor hose. I need a consultant. This thread is motivation to work on this. Today!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: jojo on April 13, 2012, 06:02:25 am
Thanks for posting this, Hogring.  I have a messy (not dirty) shop, and it's killing me. The problem is the size, mostly. Like I've run out of room on my rack for fabric, so there are rolls propped up in corners. And I'm constantly tripping over the compressor hose. I need a consultant. This thread is motivation to work on this. Today!

This is a common misconception that you would/could be more organized if you had a larger space.  Nothing further from the truth; more larger area to clean, and the realality is that you will fill in any available space with something, no matter how large the area.  It's just how it happens!

SHHR

I remember when I was much younger reading a Mad Magazine that had a fake ad for a pull down screen for a teens door to their room. The room stayed messed but with the screen in place you had a picture of a nice tidy room. I wonder if they make those for big overhead doors? My problem would be solved! ;D
Kyle

Mojo

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on April 13, 2012, 06:43:12 am

This is a common misconception that you would/could be more organized if you had a larger space.  Nothing further from the truth; more larger area to clean, and the realality is that you will fill in any available space with something, no matter how large the area.  It's just how it happens!

You are so right. I built a storage room as an addition to the side of my garage. It is 10 x 16. It was supposed to house my tractor along with my foam and other fabrics and such. It is jam packed and I am now using my enclosed trailer for overflow.

The addition was supposed to be the overflow, now that is overflowing and I need the trailer for the other overflow.......lmao. The more space you have, the more s**t you accumulate.

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Gregg @ Keystone Sewing on April 13, 2012, 06:43:12 am
I have to disagree this time. I find that more room makes it easier to keep organized.
And I get so many more jobs because I can store their furniture until they're ready for it.

Same at home too. The kids are grown and gone now. It seems like we have vast open spaces now that we no longer have to slosh through toys just to walk across the floor. The house seems HUGE to us now, and it's so much easier to keep it clean.

If you guys don't want your extra space, I'll take it.