Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 09:17:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How to make patterns for boat seats?

Started by timtheboatguy, April 08, 2012, 11:08:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppy

Correct. I pattern to finish size. The way Darren says you'd be patterning to cut size. Which is why I have a problem with that way, when it gets to be more than a couple pieces the seam allowance gets in the way and makes it very hard to 'see through' that mess. Also one sewer has a 9/16" 'half inch' and the other has more like a 3/8". When I give them a finish size pattern it doesn't matter they just do their own thing.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

SoInTrouble

Quote from: Rich on April 09, 2012, 05:40:04 pm
If the cushion is boxed all around I forget about the old cover altogether and cut the face 1/4" larger than the board all around. New foam cut larger than the board all around gives the best results, but if the old foam is still in good shape it can be re-used.
Rich

Great thread, It answered a few questions I had.  I have done all car stuff and am doing my first boat.  One more question... How much wider do you cut the foam?  I am doing 3" thick box cusions 36" by 36"  I was guessing 1/2" on both sides, but it would be better not to guess and use the trial and error method..  ;D

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website