Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 12, 2024, 06:30:56 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Dennis - Your package arrived!

Started by baileyuph, April 01, 2012, 06:51:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

The 12 guage wire is impressive, stronger than a rock.  The clips were fascinating and helps to conceptualize the neumatic tool at work.  I can see where a volume shop would find this equipment/supplies very beneficial.

I have already put the findings to work, I got the clips and short of the 12 ga., used something lighter and corrected a spring deficiency in a new sofa, those strong clips with even a lighter weight wire really firmed up the base.  This new furniture meets market demands but it is putting us crafts guys right back in business.  My experience there is far more money in repairs than labor intensive rebuilding; yeah, I am greedy!  Call it small business greed.  I am not incorporated!  ;)

So, I got the clips, bought a box of (1000?) and found my old C.S. Osborne  pliers and put them to work yesterday.  It was incredible how well the Osborne pliers worked, they are of a design at least 40 years ago and went for those clips like women and wine.  I bought them new sometime over 30 years ago and sort of got away from using them (opportunity came back so to speak).  Now, back in business! The manual pliers are built like a rock and squeeze the clips without undue effort.

More later on this, still feeling my way in the repair market and need to understand how I can justify the air clincher like you have.  My requirements are primarily mobile at this time and small, so current situation is tailored to the demand.

By the way, something will show up in your mail box to cover your trouble.  What a guy!  If we were co-located it would definitely mean "lunch" on me.
Something else, when time prevails we can discuss the fact that I have a life long friend now in your town and I would think you might very well know him.  He has been there for perhaps 30 years, give or take.  We talk on occasion and if phone time allows, I will mention your name and situation.

Do you think a Mack truck could run over a spring base clinched with that 12 ga. wire and even bend it)?  People are getting bigger or have gotten heavier, that is the ticket.

Thanks again buddy, what a guy!

Doyle

sofadoc

I almost missed this post.
A title like "Dennis-Your package arrived!" just wasn't attention-grabbing enough :D

Which Osborne manual plier are you using?  In the past, I've used BW clip pliers on in-home jobs:
http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/522.html

I'm just wondering if you have a more suitable model.

Many suppliers, such as Rochford carry the stake wire in 16 ga. That's fine for backs. But for seats you need something heavier.  The 12 ga. that I use is probably a size too big, but I like it because it produces a tight crimp with the clinching gun.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

BigJohn

DB;
     When you talk about installing "clips" with a "pneumatic tool" are you referring to Hartco clips and the pneumatic tool that installs them? I notice the manual BW clip tool and clips that is refereed to by Sofadoc, I've used the BW clips to tie Zig-Zag springs together on restaurant booth seats using craft paper wrapped flex wire/ edge wire. Another option is using 3 prong clips and the Osborne tool made just for that clip but it is bigger and harder to use in the tight quarters created by the Zig-Zag springs.

baileyuph

Good question John, I usually never know what I am talking about.   ;)

I do not have neumatic tool Johh, it would be nice to have one like Dennis does, his video impressed the heck out of me.

Anyhow, I do have a very old Osborne tool that I used last weekend to put clips on cross wire supports over no sags and it worked fine.  I was coming in from the bottom of a new sofa that had a problem that I was fixing. 

I installed about a dozen of the clips on this sofa in just a few minutes.

Actually, right now, I don't have the volume in this type of work to get a neumatic setup, so I don't see it in the picture until and if that happens.  The obvious advantage of the manual Osborne pliers is for mobil work, etc.

Now, have I confused the situation even more?

:)
Doyle

BigJohn

Doyle,
     Yes as I remember Sofadoc got such a good price on that Hartco tool from Ebay that some might say he stole it! It seams to me that this site on Ebay gets that tool from time to time:

http://stores.ebay.com/1TO4-TOOLS-and-MORE

New the tool can cost starting around $1400.00, they are used a lot to make metal lobster traps and the like.

baileyuph

Lobster traps!  Really, it is a strong tool, from my understanding.

My volume doesn't justify the price of a new one, unless I get into lobster catching, I guess the little hand tool will have to do.

Doyle