Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 20, 2024, 07:26:18 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A demonstration piece

Started by fragged8, March 17, 2012, 01:51:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

hi Guys

I will be opening a river side workshop come chandlers mid April
but it is quite small 30 x 20.

What I am thinking is i need to make a demonstration piece of furniture
that looks a bit like a boat seat but I'm not so good at design from scratch.
Usually my designs are organic, I start sewing and see where I end up heheh

I did think about making a knee rise curved bench seat under or attached to the
serving counter but I think thats not practical as customers wouldn't
be able to get near the counter.
Then I thought maybe a round seat in the middle of the shop with a flat display
table on top ?

Anyone got any good ideas ? I could also make a nice piece that could stay outside
when the shop is open for people to sit on ?

What I dont want is for it to look like a car bench seat dumped onto a frame.

rich

kodydog

March 17, 2012, 05:34:29 pm #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:48:22 pm by kodydog
What market are you trying to attract. Restaurant? Home? Bar? Indoor or outdoor?
                                             " Custom Boat Work" I get it.

But I'm not sure what you mean by chandler, is that a boat show?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

where its a small shop as mine was i had up on the  lake in NE i didnt need a counter fo the canvas preople just cae in aor saew me working on a boat parked out front. one thing you may vonsider i had a small bait shop next door sorms and shiners were a big thing with hook and sinkers. i know yod dont have much space but there are thoose vending machine available now you stock with nightcrawlers  to set out side like a coke machine and you make sales after hours also o think with little space just the work you doing would be a atraction

fragged8

hiya

mainly i'm attracting boat people so a 2 seat sofa that looks something like
a boat seat but not just a basic bench seat, it really needs some shape to it and
features like knee rise and tuck and roll etc.
If the demo piece gets me other work then all's good :-) It has to be something I can
make with my boaty skills.

Over here a Chandlers is a shop for boat bits so West Marine would be a Chandlers
here.

I got some fishing gear on the way Mike :-) a few rods, poles floats hooks, several
pre made rigs, and what we call boilies which are preserved baits in little balls for river fishing
As far as I know boilies have no shelf life like live baits.
we do have bait vending machines here but i'm not sure i want to get involved in live
baits ? is it much hassle ?

Rich

Mike

Quote from: fragged8 on March 18, 2012, 11:30:13 am

I got some fishing gear on the way Mike :-) a few rods, poles floats hooks, several
pre made rigs, and what we call boilies which are preserved baits in little balls for river fishing
As far as I know boilies have no shelf life like live baits.
we do have bait vending machines here but i'm not sure i want to get involved in live
baits ? is it much hassle ?

Rich
we have over here / I had  lke that Rich, Pork rines  shaped like frogs and salmon eggs betkly power bait its like playdo you ball it up on the hook for live shiners i just startet with a ld freeze unit with the topdoor off and pump lake water into it and ran a drain ppe back into the lake  the water was cool like the lake so i didnt have the fancy tank with referation like a tank off the water just net the dead dailey

fragged8

hehe pork rind shaped like frogs , that sounds like a snack
for me :-)

Mike

Here rich tomorrow's lunch. Uncle josh poems

gene

Congratulations on your new shop. I do wish you well. I always love hearing about new businesses starting up, especially with this economy.

I'm not sure what to suggest for out front. Maybe you could go to a boat junk yard and get a seat for cheap that looks good. At least you won't have to design it yourself. Oh, and only put the seat out front, not the entire wrecked boat.

I was going to say, in reference to comments posted about Texas, that maybe you could put a 'boot' in front of your shop. But, you folks in England would wonder why I was suggesting a 'car trunk'. I still remember laughing like the typical obnoxious American the first time I heard the phrase "jockey box". LOL

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fragged8

er.. perhaps i'll take a rain check on lunch Mike  :D

heh as i was reading your post Gene i was thinking a boot out front ???
WHy ? I was picturing a Rubber boot or wellington hhehe..

Mike

kodydog

March 21, 2012, 03:26:40 pm #10 Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:28:28 pm by kodydog
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

March 21, 2012, 03:45:07 pm #11 Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:45:51 pm by gene
I'll be honest with you Mike. Maybe I am stupid because I'm not sure I would know how to pour piss out of that boot no matter where the directions were printed!

LOL

gene

Peppy

Here's my favorite thing to pour out of a boot-

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5229/5586447033_3f55b18e72.jpg

It does amaze me though, how watertight everyone's boots seem to be. Mine are so full of staple holes and spit tacks any piss just sort of seeps out the bottom. A real time saver actually.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

fragged8

hehe thats what i need Mike :-)

we have an Ale yard in the UK for silly pub drinking games

Its pretty straight forward until you get to the bulb at the end and
then you usually get soaked in beer

and the Germans have a boot for the same

gene

March 24, 2012, 06:37:11 am #14 Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:40:38 am by gene
The British do have a unique sense of humor.

I would expect the Germans to have a boot. LOL I say this only because I listened to 1 hour of Jimmy Carr on youtube last night. Someone put his new DVD online. It is very, very adult humor. If anyone listens to him and is offended please get mad at Chris. If anyone listens to him and is NOT offended you are a moral reprobate, you clearly have no conscience, and Satan sees you as his competition.

gene