Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:20:56 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hinged cornices

Started by fingers, March 06, 2012, 02:55:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

Fixin' to start a hinged cornice in the next day or two. I've been satisfied with a piano hinge in the past but heard a couple guys on here mention they do a fair amount of cornices as well. Mine pivot face to face with an offset top return to make things a bit more steady. Ya'll do yours any different? Didn't think it would hurt to ask

gene

March 06, 2012, 03:13:50 pm #1 Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:17:16 pm by gene
I'm not sure what you mean by "offset top return".

If you make a cornice board with side returns and a top return, or a dust covert as some folks call it, and then cut it exactly in half, and then joint the two pieces together where you cut them in half with a piano hinge, that's how I do mine, Only, I don't cut them in half, I just make two separate halves and connect only the face boards with a piano hinge.

I also cover the ends of the cornice boards, where the piano hinge is, with lining or fabric. I saw one recently where the wood was left exposed. You can't see it from the front and or the back because of the gimp they glued on, but I would not want a homeowner seeing that exposed wood.

I also make sure the fabric can be folded and returned to normal, without a permanent crease line. I have at times  put a foam piece in between the two halves so it doesn't close up all the way. This seems to help on some fabric. If the installer has a steamer that can also be a big help sometimes.

Oh, I cover the staples on the lining in the back with gimp. I assume that the back will be seen just like the front, and I want the cornice board to look like a piece of furniture when it is being carried into the homeowners house.

Good luck.

Gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fingers

By offset I mean staggering the joint of the 'dust cover' by six inches or so from the face joint. It seems to lock up better. I've used foam as well and don't fold it completely in half for transport. I secure it on the top return/dust cover with some scrap lumber holding it just shy of folded all the way.

Peppy

Curriculum vitea e pluribus unim carpe diem....

What the hell are you guys talking about? What's a cornice board?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠