Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:48:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Horse hair and non-animal alternatives

Started by theanimallover, March 06, 2012, 10:19:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

theanimallover

Hi,

I am new to upholstery, and don't want to use horse/animal hair any more. I am a non-meat eater and am uncomfortable using animal hair even if it is a 'bi product' of the meat industry.

I have a few questions about horse hair I have asked a few people, but can't seem to get an answer, so you help is very much appreciated.

Firstly, what is the best alternative to use? Could I use coir?

Secondly, has anyone ever asked their local stables for horse hair? Is it possible? Is it the mane and tail that is used commercially?

Thanks in advance.

kodydog

Spanish Moss grows in trees in the south and is free. I've seen plenty of it in older furniture. Kapok is another choice if you live near a rain forest. Cotton will work if you have enough land to grow a few plants. I've also seen straw as padding if you could save your grass clippings. I've recently learned of coconut fibers as padding.  Hemp is 100% Vegan & Pesticide-free and made in America. I find home grown is the best :D

But seriously if you don't want to use horse hair why not just use polyurethane foam and Dacron? Of course these are petroleum based so a good alternative would be all natural latex (rubber from the tree).

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

It's hard to discuss the topic of horsehair and hair substitutes without emotion.  I, personally, have no problem with the grim aspect of slaughterhouses but I do have a problem with the attendant mechanization and subsequent mistreatment of animals about to go to the "happy hunting ground".  Horses are especially troublesome because they're not as docile as cattle, sheep, and swine.  They tend to be flighty and more difficult to  handle.  I have friends with horses and some are sentimental about them, others not so much.  In the latter group a few call around and have someone slaughter the animal on site and then the rendered meat goes to kennels (sled dogs).  The hide is usually buried.

I don't know, but would suspect, that using hair from a stable would be nigh on impossible as it would need to be cleaned and it would take a pretty long time to accumulate enough of it to make any impact on a project.  Know what I mean?  I would think that only the by-product of slaughter would make the reclaimation of it economically viable.  Which is prolly why it's so expensive. 

ragtacker

If you are looking to find a substitute for horsehair, for, say, antique work, Albany Foam has a synthetic version much like fine curled fishline.  It works up much like the natural product.  (Great for folks who want their antiques done traditionally, but hypo-allergenically, but it's not exactly "green")

theanimallover

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
Kody dog, I will try to grow some hemp in my back-yard :-)
I am in the UK, but I will take a look at the Albany website and see if I can find something similar over here.

kodydog

March 08, 2012, 05:00:49 am #5 Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:41:18 am by kodydog
A fellow who calls himself "alge" is a master upholsterer and antique lover in the traditional sense, and he's in the UK. If you could find an old post of his and send him a PM, I think he would respond.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html