Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:40:35 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

RE: Intuit and Square

Started by bobbin, March 04, 2012, 03:44:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MinUph

Mike,
  As far as I can tell the receipt would be emailed to them. I believe your phone should be fine as long as you have Internet and GPS access with it.
  They sign the screen.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

i wonder how that would be Paul i ewouldnt want to leave a place without a proper reciet /  but many times ive taken deposits in the past over th e phone just took the numbers and then there is online sales with nop reciet in my hand

MinUph

I took this from Squares site.

Tap "Continue" and input your customer's phone number or email address to deliver a receipt. If you use an iPad that's connected to a receipt printer, you'll also see the option to print a receipt.
Tip: You can always find your payment history by viewing your Sales History menu in the app or on your Payments page.

So with the phone there is no printed receipt.

It also states most IOs devices but doesnt list the 3g phone in particular.

What devices does the reader work with?

Square and Card Case are both supported on:
Apple iOS devices running 4.0 and up
Google Android devices running 2.1 and up

Square Register is supported on:
Apple iPads running iOS 5.0 and up

We do not currently support any non-mobile devices or other operating systems.

Apple iOS Devices

Most Apple iOS devices are supported.
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPad
iPod Touch

So it looks like your phone is good.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Peppy

Quote from: MinUph on March 11, 2012, 02:39:37 pm
Most Apple iOS devices are supported.
iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPad
iPod Touch

Quote from: stitcher_guy on March 10, 2012, 07:52:52 am
I've never taken credit cards in the 11 years I've been open, but in the last couple years I"ve gotten more inquiries if we handle them. My shop is three miles out of town, and I require a deposit from customers to schedule their repairs. I have to make them come back or mail a check to order material, and I take a risk scheduling without a deposit if there is no material to purchase (can leave a dead space in the schedule if they are a no-show).

I have looked into Square and Intuit. I am more inclined to go with Intuit because we use QuickBooks for our accounting, and it would be a seamless flow into the accounting for updates. The per-transaction fee is about the same (2.7% vs. 2.75%), and if I ended up doing a lot of business with credit cards, with Intuit, you can opt for a 1.6% (about that) with a $12/month fee. The reader that plugs into your smart phone (it has all the major styles of smart phone as options) seems heftier and stronger with the Intuit service.

My only up-front cost would be purchasing a smart phone (I'm still in the stone-age and don't have one), but that is cheaper than buying an in-store card reader. Doing so would require an extra $30/month data fee on my cell bill, so I guess that would in essence be the monthly service fee. Other than the credit card option, I really have no need for a smart phone.

I was talking to the Exec for the Automotive Parts and Service Association here in Illinois about credit cards. She said the contract with the credit card company that solicits members is about to run out, and the association will likely not be renewing their contract because the smart-phone method is cheaper for their members to use.

Now I just have to convince my wife that we need to take credit cards.   

sticher_guy- If you didn't want to buy a smart phone you could get an ipod touch. They start at $200 and you don't need a data plan to use it. Only wifi, so it would be free (with the internet you allready have.)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

regalman190

Here's what I do with Square. I always have my estimate with a copy. I right all the information about the deposit or payment on that. I give the customer their copy. When I run the credit card through Square, they have the choice of receiving a receipt by text message or e-mail. It's very simple. They basically have two copies. If it's over the phone, they still have the option of e-mail or text message. Also, your receipts are in your Square account, so you can always print them out or resend a copy. you can also go into your account and get detailed info about each transaction.
Regal Canvas

socal

March 19, 2012, 09:36:43 am #20 Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:47:26 am by socal
i have been working part time with a estate sale company and they use the square. its pretty simple to use. you bring up the app then put the total in and swipe the card wait for it to approve then they sign the screen with their finger and ask if they want the receipt sent to there cell phone or email and thats it. the people seem to love it and they buy more stuff. there the only ones using it in our area so its one of there selling point to new clients.

Mike

Just bringing this back up as many of my customers are uP. orth and this may be better then waiting on a check in the mail.

Sömnad

I love my Square! Really easy and cheap. 2.75% per swipe and no other fees whatsoever. Plus the reader is free! Like others have said, you can text, print or email their receipt. The reader plugs into the headphone jack of your device, so if your laptop has that jack, I would imagine you could run it on there. Since it's free and you are only charged per swipe, you could sign up and get one and you wouldn't be out anything if it wasn't compatible with your laptop.

MinUph

I was just looking over the site and wanted to know about manually entered transaction. Not swiped.

What are Square's fees?

Any card swiped with Square    2.75%
Payments from customers using the Pay with Square app    2.75%
Keyed in    3.5% + 15¢
Activation    $0
Annual fee    $0
Monthly fee    $0
Gateway fee    $0
Chargeback fee    $0
Refund fee    $0
Our fees are simply 2.75% per swipe.

Every payment card we accept (Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover) has the same flat rate.

Our fees are taken out of each payment as they occur so there is no fee schedule. Square does not require a contract upon signup or have any monthly minimums. It doesn't cost you anything if you don't use it.
If you type in the card information manually, our fee is 3.5% + 15¢.

Note that this fee is taken out of the total amount of each transaction, including tax and tip.

If you have any further questions on Square's fees, feel free to write in here.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Ihavenoname

I'd go with Intuit simply because it is a bigger company that has a phone number you can contact them with if there is a problem.  Square give you no phone number and email only if there is a problem. I don't' know about you but there is always some kind of problem sooner or later. I want to talk to a person not send an email that is hooked to an auto responder. 

From what I have seen on reviews on Square is limited contact information and all is email based. So if you are not credited $600 for a job you delivered 3 month ago, how good will you feel sending an email that is only an auto responder. 

Once I found that out, I was done.

Intuit is a big company and there are lots of phone numbers you can start calling to get a hold of someone.  Square is email.