Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:29:43 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Consultation from members

Started by fingers, February 26, 2012, 07:32:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

I have a couple chairs in my shop and need some insight from ya'll. They appear to have been designed as attached pillow backs. The loose back cushions are original from the manufacturer and filled with poly. I'm going to omit the welt on the lower section, around the zipper and where it goes up against the arms. In my experience it doesn't add a thing to the final product and becomes distorted rather quickly. Currently it has a forward facing zipper to accommodate the curvature of the back. Don't like that approach myself as it's directional, I'm going to straighten the zipper out. Should I just leave it at that or do ya'll think I oughta add a couple small little puckers down low where the face meets up with the zipper? Looking for suggestions please.

bobbin

Need help with the visual.  Pix?

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fingers

Getting an error.....something about an upload path. Tried making pictures smaller with no luck.

sofadoc

Do you have an account with a photo storage site like Photobucket? (It's free).  You can upload them there, and link them here by copying the IMG thumbnail, and pasting it here. 

fingers

February 26, 2012, 11:47:23 am #6 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:14:54 pm by fingers
Lets see if this works   http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/four5fingers/chair.jpg
                               http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/four5fingers/oddzipper.jpg
Well it is now dagnabbit......well it was....how come when I clicked on it to check it went dead?

sofadoc

Quote from: fingers on February 26, 2012, 07:32:22 am
Currently it has a forward facing zipper to accommodate the curvature of the back.

I'm going to straighten the zipper out.
Are you saying that it has a "crescent-shaped" zipper panel that fits the curvature of the inside back?
And you're going to replace it with a straight zipper panel?

I'm still trying to picture it. The zipper j-peg still isn't clickable.

JuneC

Copy and paste that link into your browser's URL at the top of the screen.  It'll work then. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

kodydog

I highlighted the bottom link then right click then hit "open link" and got a pic of the zipper.

I don't see a problem with leaving the welt off as you describe. As far as the zipper its going to be try it and see.
I can see what you mean about curving the zipper to form to the back. don't know what would happen if you straighten it out, even with pleats it may sit funny. If you have the time and fabric try it and see. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

February 26, 2012, 04:20:27 pm #10 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:23:17 pm by kodydog
Come to think of it I can't recall ever seeing a curved zipper even on a curved back. are you sure the zipper hasn't just taken the form of the back from years of leaning against it? Did you try taking a steamer to it. If the zipper is curved that would mean the front panel is smaller than the back panel, at least down by the zipper. I'd go the way you describe and then put a little more loose fill in and go with it. Should work.

Just looked at it again and it sure is curved. I'd straighten it. The customer probably never knew and just put it in any old way.

sofadoc

February 26, 2012, 04:42:11 pm #11 Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 05:32:58 pm by sofadoc
I finally got the zipper j-peg to open. Here's what I think may have happened.
I'm assuming this chair has been recovered before.
I think the zipper panel was made from the leftover piece when they cut out the inside back panel at the bottom. Does that make sense? I mean, when they cut out the inside back panel to contour, they took the "cut-off" piece, and made a zipper panel out of it. Or it could've come from the excess "cut-off" of the outside arm panels.
If this was a factory job, it blows my theory all to hell.

kodydog

Then again Sofa, If they were once simi-attached as stated,

"They appear to have been designed as attached pillow backs."

Then the zipper may have been curved. You can't flip a simi-attached cushion anyway. Whoever upholstered it last time, and made them loose cushions, should have straightened the zipper. IMO

sofadoc

If it were semi-attached originally, it's possible that the inside back went all the way down into the crevice, and stapled.
Whatever happened, I like the idea of straight zipper with no welt at the bottom.

fingers

Sorry Sofa, a 100% sure it's factory and it is definitely curved but your take was my first impression as well. Yep, I steamed it just to confirm. My thinking with the shallow puckers/pleats at the bottom is it would give some place for the excess fabric to go as it conformed to the inside curve. Though out of the ordinary it would not look all together out of place because it has the same pleats at the top corners and one on either side. What made me think of it to begin with is many attached inside backs have the same pleats down low, typically sewn to a pull. They give guidance to what the buttons form out of the excess fabric. The rub is there are no buttons and was looking for feedback on that point, just didn't get that far in the explanation. Mostly was trying to simply refine/adapt to the special circumstances, maybe even learn a thing or two from ya'll along the way. I think I will include the shallow pleats at the bottom if for any other reason they will eventually form themselves any how. This would make them look like they belonged there and be fairly subtle. Think I'll narrow the width of zipper by a half inch or so as well. The way it looks now doesn't sit well with me. Letting go of the welt will soften things up too. Still open to ideas.
Please excuse the picture ordeal, been pulled in several directions today....