Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 01:20:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

oil on my bobbin?

Started by gene, February 21, 2012, 05:16:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

February 21, 2012, 05:16:06 pm Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:29:16 am by gene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwTUZnO0FxU&feature=related

At 4:20 on this video the guy puts his bobbin in the machine. At 4:35 he squirts oil on top of his bobbin. Is this normal? Am I supposed to be doing this with my Juki LU 562? Wouldn't the oil get all over the thread?

Thank you for your replies.

geene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

February 21, 2012, 05:28:25 pm #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:35:29 pm by kodydog
My wife is my sewing teacher and her teacher was an expert in sewing and machine machine repair. She says oil the outside of the casing that surrounds the bobbin every time you change bobbins.

He sure did oil that bobbin but with vinyl maybe not as big a deal.

Oil on the thread will leave marks on fabric. Ask me how I know.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

February 21, 2012, 05:48:46 pm #2 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:54:14 pm by sofadoc
I've always done that. I've never seen a manual that said to do it, though. On my machine, I can hear a distinctive difference when I oil around the bobbin case. It's more of a smooth glide sound than a metal-to-metal clanking sound.
I especially do it when I'm throwing myself a bobbin winding party, and I'm running the empty case wide open.
My Juki LU-1508 is supposed to have a self-oiling hook, but it doesn't get the oil up around the bobbin case enough to satisfy me.
IMHO, you should do it. As long as you put a drop between the bobbin case and the hook chamber, you shouldn't have a problem with oil on the thread. At least I never have.

BTW I finished watching that video. Did you notice at the 6:53 mark that he just glossed right over the french seam part? That was what the video was supposed to be about.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

fingers

When I bought my machine the little old man showed me a new feature on the case where I should put a drop of oil every time a bobbin was changed. He also said be sure to put a drop between here and here,(bobbin case/hook) that he didn't trust the 'new' feature so much. I have always done this on every machine I ever used. Same here with a winding party Sofa. I try to treat my machine like a beautiful, poised woman. Thank God or both

Mike

I do that alo normaly ill oil before i insert the bobin, never had tropuble actully ive seen oiler that oil the top thread  i suppose to wear less on the guides. so i dont see a difference top thread or biobbin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGPeVBk84Jo

gene

February 21, 2012, 08:05:18 pm #5 Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:07:35 pm by gene
Thanks for the comments. I've always wondered about the bobbin since it's metal spinning on metal and there was no oil.

Yes I noticed that he skipped the french stitching. I also noticed that he uses a lot of silicone spray. Does anyone else use that much silicone spray? Merv Knutson, who put out upholstery how to tapes, used silicone in a pneumatic sprayer and put a cloud of that stuff all over the place.

Mike, I don't think I ever sew long enough and fast enough to get needle burn on my thread. I'll skip buying the thread lubricator. If I see smoke coming up from my needle, I could always spit a bit of coffee on it, now that I have my new sewing machine coffee cup holder. LOL

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 21, 2012, 08:05:18 pm
I also noticed that he uses a lot of silicone spray. Does anyone else use that much silicone spray?
I don't. He even sprayed around the chair frame, and seat before mounting the seat onto the frame. Unless it was a really tight fit, I saw no reason to do that.
Also, he notched the boxing, and the top panel in the middle, sewed halfway around, then flipped it over and sewed the other half. I do this when I have a pattern to match. But with a plain solid, I just start in the back, and sew all the way around.

Quote from: fingers on February 21, 2012, 07:42:11 pm
I try to treat my machine like a beautiful, poised woman.
What's the difference between a female jogger, and a sewing machine?
A sewing machine only has ONE bobbin'.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Grebo

:o Thats a lot of oil, isn't it ?
I just pop a small spot in under the bobbin  ::)

Suzi

fingers

Sofa, while we're on the topic of bobbins....part of my route to work is along this popular exercise path. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EEuhBPzp_Q  There's always nice scenery one way or another. Sure, I could take a quicker route

gene

February 22, 2012, 05:28:57 am #9 Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:31:41 am by gene
fingers: Here's music that you can add to your video. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEnJDaqT3-0

The reason I bought a walking foot machine was to be able to match the pattern by starting in the center, sew one direction, flip it over, then sew the other direction. I was surprised how much I still need to be careful so the two sides are sewn similarly. It can still be easy to get one side stretched out differently than the other side.

gene

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: fingers on February 21, 2012, 07:42:11 pm
What's the difference between a female jogger, and a sewing machine?
A sewing machine only has ONE bobbin'.

Now that was a good one, brightened my morning.   ;D

kodydog

Quote from: fingers on February 22, 2012, 03:35:42 am
Sofa, while we're on the topic of bobbins....part of my route to work is along this popular exercise path. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EEuhBPzp_Q  There's always nice scenery one way or another. Sure, I could take a quicker route

Dang fingers I thought we were going to get to see one bobbin. I watched the whole video.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

February 22, 2012, 07:32:10 am #12 Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:33:18 am by byhammerandhand
As someone who does a lot of wood touch up and repair, silicone is evil in a can.  I just finished fixing up a chair with water damage that was four times as difficult as it should have been because of all the *#()* Pledge on its wooden parts.

Silicone oil causes finishes to "fish eye" meaning it pulls away and craters.  It's awful to have to deal with and you can never really get rid of it, even stripping does not remove it.   I say, "Silicone is like herpes; once you have it, you have it forever."

I will occasionally use it on my hand-sewing needles.  But I spritz a bit onto the cloth that hold them and then I run the needle on the cloth.   Before I touch anything else, I wash my hands thoroughly.   I would never use it in my shop or finish room.  You can even get it transferred from door knobs, etc.

For those that are having the same problems, the best you can do is isolate it on the wood with a couple of light coats of shellac, sprayed on, before you start other work such as color restoration. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=245  So, "Kill the fish eye with the bulls eye"

Quote from: gene on February 21, 2012, 08:05:18 pm
Does anyone else use that much silicone spray? Merv Knutson, who put out upholstery how to tapes, used silicone in a pneumatic sprayer and put a cloud of that stuff all over the place.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

fingers

Sorry Kody, I'll do better next time. Use your imagination...it's a bright, crisp morning or a balmy afternoon, heck, it's all good. The point is there's a two mile stretch with 'ample' opportunities.

bobbin

I no longer own a vertical axis bobbin machine.  But I work on them at work.  I oil them at least once a day and I never simply drop oil indiscriminently into the hook/race mechanism!  Rather, I use the oil can and place one or two drops into the holes at the bottom of that housing, the very place where the oil is supposed to go.  Doing the work I do, I simply can't slop oil everywhere... .  Indiscriminant oiling basically oils the thread; I don't need the hassle of oil stains on fabrics that can cost upwards of $100/yd.. 

My two present machines are self-oilers; there are only a couple of places where I must manually oil.   I tend to oil them when I'm taking a day/two off, and then always run a sample until I'm satisfied that there is no residue on the threads.