Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 12:59:47 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help with pricing!

Started by florida girl, February 20, 2012, 04:21:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Quote from: SHHR on February 22, 2012, 05:42:27 am
  "that should only take 3 hours" then about 6 or 7 hours later when I'm wrapping up the project, I realize how much I actually gave away instead of earning.

i wopnder also how many jobvs you would loose if the price was doubled

bobbin

Until you're able to accurately estimate the time required to complete a given job you'll never be able to price accurately.  There is a world if difference between the time actually required and the time "you think" it should take!  I was shocked at the yardage required for a recent slipcover job, and was pleasantly surprised that my time estimate was right on the snapper. 

I know how much money I have to charge/hr. to earn what I want to earn.  That's number crunching and I told you how to do that (although you already knew how).  I also know how much my supplies/notions cost and how much I wish to mark them up.  All the rest is simply number crunching.  No magic and definitely not easy. 

Mike

Ya bobbin a criend santed vinyl to do to bucket sest for a boat tuck snd roll and a rear. Ench about 5' long tiluck n foll and two coaming pads 10' long. Y 25" tall i fitgured 17 yards   He did the easy coaming pads
And started messing up the tuck n roll and called me sgsin to indid the teo cuckets and now have to do the bench back and bottom.  Im resl low and may need more.  I was surprised when i got 17 yards but its almost gone

florida girl

I appreciate all your suggestions, I do keep in mind that I want to build a business, and need to be a little low, but I'm not doing it for nothing!  Good news, is my gym job now wants me to cover his kitchen chairs!  Still, the small pieces price out per inch too cheap, so I need particularly to raise those prices. 

timtheboatguy

This is the hardest part for me, you want to sell the job but must make a profit too. I have two pontoon boats going right now, both get new carpet, recover all vinyl and custom covers. I bid them both at the same price, may lose money on one and do decent on the other. They are both the same length but one boat has much more vinyl with thicker bolsters and padding everywhere, while the other boat is rather plain and simple. Why I didn't catch this when estimating???? I am still learning this trade and learning comes at a cost from time to time.

Learning to price jobs is as much of an art as the work itself, sounds like you have much experience in the work part so your miles ahead of a lot of folks. One bit of advice would be to keep records of how much time and materials you have in each job and how much profit etc. You'll be able to look back at previous jobs for reference. Pay attention to details so you don't make a mistake as mentioned above.

Much success to you!
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur

florida girl

Keeping records of time is a good idea, need to remember this! 

byhammerandhand

I would be leery of underpricing the market because as Kyle says, you will underestimate.   I found this particularly true when I started out and had to figure out things or run out for parts and materials that I didn't have.   Once you get into the swing of things, your efficiency will improve.   Keep good records so you know that when you do this type of job, it has taken you X hours +-Y.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." -- Will Rogers

Quote from: SHHR on February 22, 2012, 05:42:27 am
  The key I see with me is to be honest enough with yourself to know exactly how long each job will take, then charge by the hour or job. When I first got going I'd look at a simple seat and tell my self "that should only take 3 hours" then about 6 or 7 hours later when I'm wrapping up the project, I realize how much I actually gave away instead of earning.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

florida girl

I've been investigating what it costs to buy new, why reupholster if it's cheaper to buy new?

byhammerandhand

Quote from: florida girl on February 23, 2012, 11:03:08 am
I've been investigating what it costs to buy new, why reupholster if it's cheaper to buy new?

I can think of a few reasons:
- Better "bones"   Hardwood frames vs. engineered wood stapled together, better springs, better padding
- More than a 5-7 year life span
- Ability to get exactly what fabrics you want
- Ability to get style you want with or without variations to the "before" piece
- Much more attention to detail -- patterns centered, stripes and patterns on seams lined up,
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

florida girl

kodydog

Another reason. One stop shopping. Instead of running all over town or traveling 50 miles away and still can't find the sofa with the fabric you have in mind, just visit your local upholstery shop. How easy is that. We'll even pick-up and deliver. We're doing a sofa and two wing chairs in Ceder Key. Her closest furniture store really is over 50 miles away.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Why reupholster?  A few reasons are; there is a market for restoration, nostaligia, taste, and acceptability.

If the subject is furniture, many in the market hate the appearance of new furniture, they comment that is big, gaudy, cheaply made, and does not represent any classic periods of furniture.  Overall, I also agree with comments like this from consumers.  

Regarding auto restoration, that is simply part of the reason of old car restoration.

Recycling is upper most in some consumer minds.

The bottom line passed on to me is yes, new can be cheaper to buy, but if new is high quality then it is a new ball game.  Most people today buying the cheaper new furniture cannot afford me to redo quality older furniture.

Keep all these ideas in mind as it plays a big part in marketing your skills.

I don't waste my time with peope who can't afford what I offer.

Just some ideas,

Good luck,
Doyle

florida girl

sofadoc

Sometimes the comparison between recovering, and buying new is like comparing apples to oranges.
I tell my customers all the time that if lowest price is their ONLY concern, they'll probably be happier just buying new.
Like others here have said, if they have a quality piece of furniture that was expensive when it was new, then they can get a better value by recovering it.
But if they have a $599 sofa, they may as well replace it. I've known people that are still making payments on a cheap sofa long after it has gone to the local landfill.
I've had a rash of pieces lately that I had previously recovered anywhere from 10-20 years ago. Still in good shape. Try doing that with "Rooms-to-go" crap.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

florida girl