Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 08:14:08 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Help On This Please

Started by Mojo, January 31, 2012, 03:00:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

The vast majority of the slide topper and awnings I do for RV'ers are Carefree. I am just now starting to get calls for Girard awnings which are higher end motorized window awnings.

My questions is this. Carefree never seams their fabric unless it is a wide awning ( over 60" ). Girard runs seams perpendicular to the coach about every 4 feet. They do this despite what width is on the awnings.

I have two theorys for them wanting to do this. 1.) One is they are using cuts to make their awnings or 2.) They are adding them for some type of re-enforcement. There is no pattern as the fabric is all a tweed. The problem I have with this type of system is every time you create a seam you have also created a weak spot. This also increases more thread to exposure which inscreases thread breakage due to UV rays..

I have two customers who have contacted me now where these seams are coming apart. I looked from the top of one of the buses today and on the slide topper awnings where they utilize these seams it appears they create a pocket effect from catching rain water. In other words the fabric distorts, stretches and then creates a bucket between the seams.

Have any of you heard of this or do any of you have a theory about this ?

I myself only use seams when absolutely necessary and am making them without all of these seams like the manufacturer has. or do you think I should make them just like the manufacturer does ?

What is your opinion ?

Chris

RocketmanMH1

I myself think that your way would be the best.  Who knows why the manu. put all the seams there, but you know with a better quality material and less stitches its going to be a more stable product that you are supplying them with. Just My 2 cents.  Mike

Darren Henry

I'd stick to the one seam (if required---e.g awning) parallel to the unit for the same reasons you mention.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

kodydog

Don't know about RV awnings but in furniture, especially leather, they are piecing the hell out of it. Good way to use up their scraps. In leather recliners I often see pieces sewn together where one piece would do. I'm sure Sofa, Paul and all the other furniture people would agree that part of the job is upgrading when possible.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html