Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 12:26:35 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

My first foray into E-bay selling

Started by sofadoc, January 30, 2012, 06:52:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I've bought a lot. But never tried to sell anything. I'm testing the waters on this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upholstery-button-maker-machine-and-dies-same-Handy-Jr-/220943570372?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33714355c4
If I come out OK, I'll try some other stuff (non-upholstery related).
But with E- bay getting 11%, and Paypal getting 2.9%, I'd probably do better selling it privately. We'll see.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike

Got one just like it I bought it yeas agoand used it twice. Once on my own boat I've got engough button pard I'll never use 

fragged8

you have to watch out with ebay, it's not anywhere near the cheapest place to shop
or sell anymore.

You need to add around 30% more than you want to get, as thats around what
ebay and paypal take from your sales.

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

SD, I think your listing, pictures and explanation (about the removal of the handle) is great.

The only other thing that I might suggest is include what a new unit and molds would cost....this way it allows the buyer to compare and contrast the price your unit vs. the price of a new one.

I have been selling fabric and leather on eBay for over 10 years. Right now we have have over 1,300 items on line and have shipped to 27 foreign countries and all 50 states.

I feel that what I sell on my eBay site is fabric/leather and value.......I always try to include what the true wholesale value of the piece that I am selling in the title ...take a look at one of my leather listings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160708326636

I know that eBay and PayPal can seem a little pricey but eBay can allow you to "touch the world".....the more you sell, the better marketer you become.

Good luck with your auction. Steve

kodydog

Sofa let us know how that works out. I have a lot of small "box size" stuff I think I could sell on E-bay but have never taken the plunge.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on January 31, 2012, 04:52:02 pm
Sofa let us know how that works out. I have a lot of small "box size" stuff I think I could sell on E-bay but have never taken the plunge.
I will report back with my net profit after E-bay and Paypal get their cut.
Yeah, small box size stuff is the way to go.

MinUph

A good rule of thumb for eBay selling. If you can hold the item in your hand at arms length its ebayable  ;D
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on January 31, 2012, 05:20:25 pm
A good rule of thumb for eBay selling. If you can hold the item in your hand at arms length its ebayable 
I assume that you're referring to not only size, but weight as well. 
I've shipped out 2 button maker sets in the last year. The USPS's new flat rate boxes are great ("If it fits...it ships"). Those button presses are pretty heavy, but they fit in a flat rate box (along with dies). 

DBR1957

Wait until you get that message from Paypal telling you how long
it will be before you get your money.

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

DBR, I think you are referring to the eBay policy for new sellers.

If you are new to eBay.....they will hold your money for 2 weeks before it is released. I do not agree with this policy but they started doing this to insure that products are shipped in a timely manor and that the seller is not a scam artist.

I agree that this hurts 99.99997% of all the new sellers on eBay, but over the 10 years I have been on eBay, I have always gotten my money.

At this point in my eBay career, as soon as the buyer pays.......it is in my PayPal account. Life is Good.

If you print your USPS or UPS label within the eBay check out system, your money will be released quicker.

eBay is a tool.....understand it's strengths and weaknesses and work within those boundaries. Steve

DBR1957

Sterry56 -

Agree, but Sofadoc is a first time seller and it was with that in mind
that I made my post having been a first time seller myself last fall.

bobbin

Musta done OK since the page wasn't "available" just now!  Good for you. 

I sometimes browse e-bay, but have never bought anything. 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on February 01, 2012, 01:26:14 pm
Musta done OK since the page wasn't "available" just now!  Good for you.   
I don't know why the page was down, but it's back now. The auction doesn't end until Sat. night.

Quote from: sterry56 on January 31, 2012, 10:21:44 am
The only other thing that I might suggest is include what a new unit and molds would cost....this way it allows the buyer to compare and contrast the price your unit vs. the price of a new one.
I thought about doing that, but wouldn't that be the same as a self-imposed price ceiling? If I tell them they can get a new set for around $250, wouldn't that cause the bidding to slow down as it nears $200?

jojo

Doc, yes! Never tell them what it cost originally. I have sold tons of stuff on ebay, and a lot of times my items fetch more than I paid for them!

Mojo

Never mention a retail price on an item if your holding an auction and not a Buy It Now transaction. I have seen people bid on items on an E-Bay auction and run the price up and buy the item for more then what they could go to WalMart and buy the same exact item for. if you mention a price then your giving them price guidance which will hurt your auction price.

I actually knew a guy who used to buy certain items out of the Walmart automotive section and resell them on e-bay through auctions and time and again these dumb bidders would buy it for alot more then they could have gotten it had they went to WalMart. And then the kunckleheads had to pay shipping on top of that.

I sold a Gibson guitar once on E-Bay. I had a couple bids and then it died at $ 250 with no activity for several days. On the day the auction was ending the price soared and just before it closed the price went nuts. It ended at over $ 1,000 because 3 bidders went to battle near the end.
Of course the winner contacted me and said " Sorry my wife had a hissy fit and I cannot buy it now ". I repeated the auction again and this time sold it for $ 1,200 and again the winner contacted me and said he had an emergency come up and couldn't pay. I ended up selling it privately to a professional studio musician in Nashville.

I no longer sell big ticket items on E-bay. They are a major headache.

Chris