Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 02:23:52 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Do you remember the Nauga?

Started by TheHogRing, January 30, 2012, 09:11:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

It's that mythical creature from which Naugahyde supposedly comes from. In the 1960′s and 1970′s you couldn't turn on the TV without seeing one.

Well Naugahyde claims:

"One prominent historian believes the first Naugas arrived in America in 1778 when they delivered designer clothes from France to George Washington's Continental Army. Others suggest they arrived far earlier, pointing out an abandoned tenth century Viking settlement that was recently unearthed in Newfoundland. Among the tantalizing evidence is the discovery of two Nauga names, Olaf the Red and Erik the Navy Blue, on a fragment of stone tablet at the site."

The backstory is pretty entertaining.

To read more on the history of Nauga and Naugahyde: http://tinyurl.com/6w69dy9

BigJohn

You might want to review this thread of mine on this forum some months back:

http://get-up-and-go.com/upholstery-forum/index.php?topic=9470.0

ragtacker

Kim Buckminster of Buckminster Upholstery actually has a Nauga!  I  must assume that it had been caught and stuffed after its' demise... ::)

rustyeod

And how many neets feet do you need to make a pint of neets foot oil? :D

kodydog

Yikes! How big is a neets foot anyway?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My therapist was so pleased with the progress I was making on getting rid of those nightmares about the dreaded NAUG!!!!!

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on January 31, 2012, 05:03:02 pm
My therapist was so pleased with the progress I was making on getting rid of those nightmares about the dreaded NAUG!!!!!
What about ME?

For months after that conversation, I couldn't resist the urge to cheat monkeys out of their inheiritance while simultaneously rubbing Campho-phenique between the toes of foriegn exchange students.

Those damn Naugs actually tracked me down while I was rock climbing in the Sahara desert. They comandeered my catamaran, and with Homeland Security in hot pursuit, they plowed through several as yet undiscovered glaciers in parts of lower Alabama.

To this day, I'm still not allowed to wear bikini briefs in 9 states spread throughout the southeast, and Oregon (this has nothing with Naugs, I just thought I'd mention it anyway).

My doctor has me on a strict regimen of Hostess Ding Dongs pureed into curdled ranch dressing, and a chaser of diet root beer.

Keep Gene and me in your thoughts. We CAN get through this!
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

ahkahn

Yes, we know it all to well. We're the second oldest distributor of Naugahyde (have been distributing it since the 1950's). 

We have quite a few of the old Nauga's, as well as a lot of other Nauga-"lore" in our archives.  In fact, the front of our building (which was built in 1967) to this day still has original "Naugahyde Headquarters" sign on it, which back then was a very exclusive title.

The neatest part about the whole Nauga story is that if you go up to the Naugahyde plant in Wisconsin, in their lobby they have a showcase full of old Naugas.  There was a lady who was an avid collector of Naugas since the 1950's, and when she passed she left the entire collection to the Naugahyde company.  Neat stuff.

Trivia: The Nauga often made visits to the Johnny Carson show throughout the 1950's and 1960's.  We have a framed picture of a Nauga with Carson in our office.  I've come across this picture on the Internet in the past.

-Andrew