Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 08:17:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

simple tips for canvas people

Started by Mike, January 28, 2012, 09:15:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

after reading about presise snap placment on a thread i though this mnght be a good thread  simple things we do tha twe dont even think about but othere might take to , placing a snap presisely  ever get on off a 1/8"

(1) I take a taylors crayon and blue and  rub it on to the scres stud on the boat then  pull the canvas tight and press it diwn in the stud transfering  a round curcle mark on to underside of the canvas now just center your snap over this circle and installs right were you want it

(2) installing a list the dot grommetton insall to get it right where it needs to be place your punch tool over the post installed on the boat,. now pull the canvas  ( window) down into the punch tool othat still over the post, now punch you hole right where it need to be .

jojo

jojo

January 28, 2012, 04:21:45 pm #2 Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:26:05 pm by jojo
Just curious Mike, how do you do your cover fitting? Do you work with a fabric blank or do you use pattern material?
I use a fabric blank and lots of two pound weights tied to clamps. I'm thinking maybe this isn't the best method, but it works for me.

CreativeCanvas

Quote from: jojo on January 28, 2012, 04:21:45 pmI'm thinking maybe this isn't the best method, but it works for me.
Works for me too. Why pattern when ya can use a blank?

Darren Henry

I do as Mike does with the turnbuckles. For snaps I pull my panel into place and stab an awl into the centre of the snap.If it's a thick bit of canvas it makes it easier to set the snap if there is already a hole there.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: jojo on January 28, 2012, 04:21:45 pm
Just curious Mike, how do you do your cover fitting? Do you work with a fabric blank or do you use pattern material?
I use a fabric blank and lots of two pound weights tied to clamps. I'm thinking maybe this isn't the best method, but it works for me.

if the boat is on a trailor ill use a blank with quick fit pins to hold it.
if its on a boat lift as most i do are i have to pattern from inside the boat i pattern oone half most times unless the boat is unsymetridal then i mark my centerline as nrmal and pattern one side then the other this is where a long reach come in handy standing in the boat patterning a cockpit cover reaching over to the side 60" to trim the edge or mark ancd cut around a top bow. if its too far ive cut a hole large enough to stand in to reach the edge but that unusual

jojo

Where do you get these quick fit pins? I think I've seen them at Sailrite? If I had those, I wouldn't need the all those weights...

rustyeod

JuneC

Quote from: Darren Henry on January 29, 2012, 06:59:30 am
I do as Mike does with the turnbuckles. For snaps I pull my panel into place and stab an awl into the centre of the snap.If it's a thick bit of canvas it makes it easier to set the snap if there is already a hole there.

Darren, the problem I have with your "stab" method is that I can't find the snap.  I put in a clear vinyl (Strataglass scrap) reinforcement under every snap so I can't feel where the snap is.  I'm one of those lazy boaters who likes to grab one end of the canvas, and rip it off the boat in one pull.  My customers do it too (though I discourage it).  Glass under each snap - sewn into the hem and facing - ensures the fabric holds up for years with this abuse.  I do like Mike and put chalk on the stud to mark the fabric. 

Oh, my contribution to this thread - put a 3" to 4" scrap of Strataglass under every snap  ;D  I hide it between the face fabric and the facing/hem.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

regalman190

For cockpit covers I pattern with a blank. I use quick fit pins on the snaps. For enclosures I use plastic. I made strips of binding with snap buttons every ten inches. Then snap these on over the plastic to hold it in place. If the boat is in the water I work from the water side to the dock side....very carefully.
Regal Canvas

Grebo

Get the pins jojo. I got some & they are great.

I prefer to use Richards name for them though. Ouch, dam it pins  ;D

Suzi

Mike

Quote from: regalman190 on January 29, 2012, 07:29:33 pm
For cockpit covers I pattern with a blank. I use quick fit pins on the snaps. For enclosures I use plastic. I made strips of binding with snap buttons every ten inches. Then snap these on over the plastic to hold it in place. If the boat is in the water I work from the water side to the dock side....very carefully.

I tried that regal some plsces I just couldn't reach there forme my plastic pattern with a hole for me to reach

jojo

Thanks guys; I will get the pins. The weights are so....heavy.

regalman190

I hear you Mike. Sometimes I feel like an acrobat.....and I can't tell you how many times I've come close to falling in the water. Sometimes, if the boat isn't too big, I can turn it around at the docks. But you can't if it's on a lift. The hole is a real good idea. Never thought about that.
Regal Canvas

Mike

beofore ewueh i was in NH i did them all no patterning but like you cith the blank. i had a dock behind the shop so i did one side and there was a river feeding the lade out back so the current would  float the boat around for me to do the other side