Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Closing the deal

Started by kodydog, January 24, 2012, 06:35:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

My wife has a drawer full of estimates that she has given out. Don't know what the deal is but lately people just aren't following through. I consider her a good sales person and shes good at calling back to keep in touch. It seems lately were just not getting the deal closed.

I can't see where were doing anything different. Prices, service, turn around are all the same.

Does anybody have any suggestions to get the customer to follow through?

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

I don't think it's anything wrong that you, or the lovely Mrs. K-dog are doing. I've never been able to see a rhyme or reason why customers don't follow through.
More than likely, when they DO give you the "go-ahead", they'll all do it at once.

Lately, I've had a rash of customers calling me saying something like "I found some material online for $9.95 a yard. Can YOU get it cheaper?"
Then there are other times when they buy the fabric from me, and don't seem to care what it costs. It all does seem to come in spurts.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Steve at Silverstone Fabrics

We all have those times in our business careers that you do not feel that you can sell  a $10 bill for $5 bucks.

I assume that most of these are phone estimates.

When I get a phone call, here is what I do. I ask a series of questions: Are you shopping for estimates?  What is more important to you, price or quality? Do you know the manufacturer of the piece of furniture? Does the piece of furniture have any sentimental value? Are you going to supply your own fabric or will you be using my fabric sources? Have you ever had any furniture reupholstered before? ....if you did can you tell me about your experience......there are hundreds of other great questions that you can ask. Come up with a "script" that works for you and your personality.

All of these questions are designed to set you up as being the concerned expert.....be the one that is  interested in  helping them have a successful upholstery adventure, instead of the one that is looking to see how deep  they can get into their pocketbook.

If I have someone that has called and is shopping for estimates, I want them to judge all of the other people they call by what I have to say......I want to build rapport and trust. Educate your customer. Tell them about your standards. Encourage them to call the BBB. Invite them by to see your shop and to look at your "before and after" pictures.

During my conversation, I never talk poorly of any of my competition........build yourself up, don't worry about them.

I explain that my industry is not like a Ford dealership .....if I have a new blue F-150 on my lot and there is an exact duplicate truck on another lot 50 miles away that is $1,000 cheaper, then buying the cheaper truck is the smart choice. The point I make is that my price for a sofa is $xxx.xx and if you find another estimate that is $50 cheaper......it does not mean that that is a true savings of $50 (unless his shop standards are exactly the same or better than mine )  This is where you point out that "quality and cheap" never live in the same house.

When I would do a follow up call, I always ask: Do you still have the need for my services? If the answer is yes, be ready to set up the pick up. If no, ask what happen? Did they have the job done by another shop? Was my price that out of line? What could I have done differently to have gotten the job?

If someone tells me that price is more important than quality......it is time to be very polite and move on to the next phone call

Hang in there and keep swinging. Steve

kodydog

Thanks Sofa and Steve.

Steve, sounds like you and my wife have the same telephone rapport. She will patiently listen as the caller wonders off topic to talk about her grandchildren. And then gently guide her back on subject. Many good suggestions and points.

Sofa I know what your saying about spurts. Spring cleaning is always a busy time of year.

Hope to hear more on this topic.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html