Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 10:56:11 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

A little lesson on what not to use when marking measurements....

Started by slow96z, January 25, 2012, 07:27:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

JuneC

The fungicide is a liquid.  Might want to dilute it, but not as much as you would for actual roses.  Vinyl is tougher than most roses  :-\

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod160038&itemId=cat50092&tabs=general

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

thanks June GReat tip I nrever heard of using this
I have peoplemask me about the on occation. For info how long doese if generaly take to clear up   

rustyeod

Mike
I got mine in WalMart, Makeup area, smaller than a regular sharpener

kodydog

Oh yeah, I want to be there when mike goes to the makeup counter and asks for a eyeliner pencil sharpener.  :-[
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

JuneC

No clue if the fungicide would be a long-lasting solution.  I suppose it depends on just where the mildew is growing.  If it's on the foam underneath, it'll just come back - unless maybe you take off the covers and treat everything.  Even if you did, your seats could be reinfected from whatever got them infected in the first place.  I've heard about people simply dyeing the vinyl with SEM. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

I've never seems mold on my own seats ckuse I've always used s good vinyl like morbern. I wonder if it's the vinyl also with no inhibitors   ?

And ga I'd look funny at the makeup counter :)

JuneC

I've never had it happen to Morbern or Spradling vinyl.  But even so, when I re-use existing (old) foam, I spritz the foam with a dilution of bleach and water to kill whatever lurks there. 

June

W. C. Fields

ragtacker

I have found put (the hard way, of course!) that both sharpies and ball point pens will bleed through vinyl (except black, of course)!  I use a very soft lead pencil on the wrong side of vinyl, with no problems!

slow96z

I was looking for information I had in another post and came back across this one, I wonder why I was never aleerted to these updates.  I always felt that it might be fungus because it was not really where the sharpie was and I didn't think the small amount of ink I used would make that kind of mess anyway.  I am going to try these remedies, hopefully it will save me from having to redo the whole boat again!

It makes sense that it would be the same stuff that's plaguing Florida boats since I got this one from Florida.  Now if Texas boats start to get this issue I'll know I'm patient 1.

If I do have to redo the seats at least I know to bleach the heck out of the foam before I wrap it again.

Thanks all!

Mike

Slow its not justred but any marker , ive seen it burn through in a  mirror image to the marks. it wont speard all over like that

slow96z

It never really did make sense to me how there could be that much red ink anyway as I did the cushions one at a time so there was no panel labeling and most of the seam marks got cut off after sewing.  I'm going to go buy the Ortho Rose fungicide at lunch today, seems to be the only thing I can get anybody to sware by that it works and lasts...

Wish me luck, if this doesn't work I'm going to have to buy a servo motor, new vinyl (from a different supplier, I guess, since quality is the cause) and all new foam, not counting my time!

sunshine_n_pc

June said she spritzs foam being reusing with diluted bleach -about what kind of ratio?  I take spritz as a light misting?

slow96z

Man I don't know the ratio, but I'd make it stout.  Bleach isn't going to damage the foam, too much would definately be better than not enough.  Don't under-do it and end up having to redo the job!

-j