Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

September 28, 2024, 03:13:36 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How long do you plan to work?

Started by sofadoc, January 20, 2012, 04:11:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I was buying my wife a new car the other day. The salesman looked me up and down, and asked "So, you retired?"
I fought back the urge to say "NO! You little snot! I can STILL work rings around YOU!"
But instead I said "I can't remember". It took him a moment to realize that I was messin' with him.

But it got me to wondering. For most of us stitchers, there ain't no retirement in the foreseeable future (if ever). My Grandmother worked into her 90's. My Mother worked up until a month before "The Big C" finally did her in at 60.

How many of you plan to work into your 60's or beyond?
If so, is it due to financial necessity? Or because you enjoy it too much to quit? Or a little bit of both?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I actually do get a boot out of doin' what I do.  It's fun.  I get a genuine charge out of turning someone's ideas into what they want.  I like to see them smile and marvel at what I've just made.  I get a kick out of looking at something and thinking, "yeah, I made that!".  So, with that in mind, I'm pretty lucky, actually. 

But I have to work for as long as I'll be able.  I have little confidence in SS and while we've been good savers the reality is the much vaunted "market" hasn't been returning great returns.  Banks? snort... why pay depositors when you can borrow from the Fed. for 0%...  .  The longer I work the less I have to rely on a fixed monthly income or have to eat into limited retirement savings!

CreativeCanvas

Well, at this stage of the economic game I'll probly wind up workin til I croak. Retirement? Pfft ...

gene

When I opened my studio I bought some tools from an upholsterer who just quit. He was 80. The reason he quit upholstering is because his wife has Alzheimers and he had to put most of his attention to taking care of her. He still made massive sized bird houses as a hobby, but he had no deadlines to keep.

I know folks who quit their professions only because their own health made them quit. That will probably be me.

Elton John sang at Rush Limbaugh's wedding last year. (Yes, in spite of what the mainstream news media wants you to believe, Rush is not a homophobe) Rush said he asked Elton why he was still working (touring the world) when he didn't need the money and was well into his 60's. Elton said he keeps working for the same reason Rush keeps working. Why should he stop doing something that he loves doing.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Quote from: CreativeCanvas on January 20, 2012, 07:09:33 pm
Well, at this stage of the economic game I'll probly wind up workin til I croak. Retirement? Pfft ...

about 4 years ago I was asked to do some work after a  canvas guy  dropped dead in his living room.
That will be me also

CreativeCanvas

Quote from: Mike on January 20, 2012, 07:52:48 pm
Quote from: CreativeCanvas on January 20, 2012, 07:09:33 pm

about 4 years ago I was asked to do some work after a  canvas guy  dropped dead in his living room.
That will be me also
Would that've been Bruce in N. Port? Ya that was a shocker Mike. Big strong dude like that dead before he hit the ground. Aneurism/stroke wasn't it?

fingers

I also share the views of many concerning SS. Like bobbin and others I get a certain satisfaction out of my trade. It's simply a combination of the two.

Mojo

I had to chuckle when I read this thread. Here I am retired with a comfortable pension and I am right back working again. I must be nucking futs. But to be honest I married a young un ( ok I robbed the craddle ) and she has 10 more years before she can retire. I spend my days by myself so why not do something ? :)

But I admit I enjoy this work. Still if something else came along that interested me ( business wise ) I would consider it. Maybe a brothel or something. I may hang this work up in a couple years or so or may keep going till she retires. It all depends on my health situation. If my disease advances then yes I will quit and really - truly retire.

I am a workaholic and have to be working to be happy. Been that way since I was a kid. Once the wife retires and if I am not dead by then it will be time to load up the Bus and hit the road and travel.

Chris

Mike

January 21, 2012, 04:59:34 am #8 Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:01:34 am by Mike
Quote from: CreativeCanvas on January 20, 2012, 08:44:23 pm

Would that've been Bruce in N. Port? Ya that was a shocker Mike. Big strong dude like that dead before he hit the ground. Aneurism/stroke wasn't it?
[/quote]
I didn't know the guy but ss I recal I belive he was from NP

JuneC

Till I drop dead.  I like to work.  I suppose I'll slow down as I get older, maybe even change careers or do something slightly different with the sewing machine, but I'll never quit.  I just wouldn't be happy. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

June:

You and I would have had the perfect marriage. You off working and me off working in another direction and spending little time together during the day. There is a thing called to much togetherness. :)

I love my wife to pieces but if she was retired I would go out of my ever living mind. I get more accomplished without her being around. She is a big distraction tome when she is home. Thank the Lord she wont be retiring for at least 10 more years. :)

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: Mojo on January 21, 2012, 06:49:13 am
I get more accomplished without her being around. She is a big distraction tome when she is home. Thank the Lord she wont be retiring for at least 10 more years.
Let me get this straight. You gotta smokin' hot wife, and you'd rather sew an RV awning. You ain't too bright, are ya? ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

RocketmanMH1

SMOKIN HOT   That's the distraction!!!!!!

Mojo

Smokin Hot ? My Wife ? She is decent looking I guess. But Smokin Hot ? Don't listen to Kody. he is old and senile and any woman younger  then him looks smoking hot.  ;D

Here are the two women in my life - My daughter Natalia and my wife. You will my daughter is smokin hot but then she takes after her Daddy  ( yeah right ) :

http://throgmartin.com/Photos/Imed%20Family/Ally%20&%20Hoggie%207%202007%20a.jpg

I will pass along your comment Dennis. I am sure she will appreciate it. Of course I wont tell her your old, a little senile and blind in one eye and cannot see out of the other. Kinda like Kody....lol.  :D

Chris.

CreativeCanvas

I have a smoking hot half Portugese, half Irish ex wife. But I digress.

I'll probly continue to work for as long as I'm physically able. The origional owner of my shop worked up until he fell off a few boats. Reckon that'd probly do it for me too ...