Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 12, 2024, 11:25:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sweet sharpener

Started by sofadoc, January 14, 2012, 02:30:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

The guys at carrscorner (primarily Hammer) turned me on to this:
http://www.youtube.com/cp/vjVQa1PpcFNPIj1CZp5iaR847a9YGUxk9ANirpcEgpk=

There are a ton of sharpening gadgets on the market. Some are very good, but also very expensive. Some are cheap, and really don't work at all.
This one is $70, and performs like those that cost over 5 X's as much.
In addition to sharpening all my upholstery shears, it did a wonderful job on my button cutters. Here, I snugged a #45 cutter on the end of a drill chuck:

If ya got 70 bucks laying around, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

scottymc

Looks ok for knives if the have  if they had some big chunks out, But really you would sharpen your shears with a machine,  sorry I shudder thinking about it. Probably should get some therapy :) about it, but Ive had the same shears for 35year and only ever use a stone on them. 

sofadoc

Quote from: scottymc on January 14, 2012, 03:34:35 pm
Ive had the same shears for 35year and only ever use a stone on them. 
Much like some people have a "Green thumb" for gardening, others have a knack for sharpening with a stone. I'm not one of them. Using this machine may indeed shorten the overall life of the shears, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

I've been taking my shears to a professional for over 30 years. He uses a machine.

A lot of guys have their favorite pair of scissors holstered to their waist while they work. I never could get use to that. I've got about 10 pair spread out all around the shop. I even have a pair dedicated solely to cutting Pli-grip.

But yeah, if you're good with a stone, this gadget probably isn't for you.

kodydog

Scotty my hats off to you if you can get an edge with a stone. I know the heat from a machine plays hell with a blade but I've never gotten the knack of getting a good edge with a stone. I use a wet grinder myself.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

scottymc

I just got taught right from day one that the blade on the scissor was sacred, never use anything but a stone and never touch the inside of the blade as it will ruin them. I was probably just lucky to learn at an airline where ev everything had to be precise and quality was more important than time. About 15 motor trimmers work in that shop and I am pretty shore they all did there own with a stone. Different times though.

Mojo

Quote from: kodydog on January 14, 2012, 05:44:14 pm
Scotty my hats off to you if you can get an edge with a stone. I know the heat from a machine plays hell with a blade but I've never gotten the knack of getting a good edge with a stone.

Ditto

Chris

Darren Henry

QuoteI know the heat from a machine plays hell with a blade but

Back in the days when I sharpened knives and scissors as part of my job ; we were taught to sharpen from tip to handle because the heat travels in the direction of motion. I didn't buy that either until I burnt a couple of tips on my knives proving it.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

hdflame

January 16, 2012, 08:30:22 pm #7 Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:31:23 pm by hdflame
I've been thinking about one of these.
http://tinyurl.com/76cso25

Anybody have one?.....and like it?

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

sofadoc

Quote from: hdflame on January 16, 2012, 08:30:22 pm
The guy that sharpened my scissors for the last 30 years has a Wolff brand sharpener. It's probably the "Holy Grail" of sharpeners.
The ONLY negative that I can think of is the price tag.

Peppy

I use a 'Universal Scissor Sharpener'

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKLFIu0RfDj7VqTlgijJvjIWP1kQ3GdVUHJI2QPf2z4CpNwzYFwn-mq0fkrg

which I don't think they make anymore. Which is a shame since it works great. And I need new parts to fix the broken ones.

Speaking of sharpening, does anyone know of any resources for shear sharpening? Like angles to use and such?
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

kodydog

January 17, 2012, 09:46:50 am #10 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:55:53 am by kodydog
Quote from: sofadoc on January 16, 2012, 08:54:22 pm
Quote from: hdflame on January 16, 2012, 08:30:22 pm
It's probably the "Holy Grail" of sharpeners.
The ONLY negative that I can think of is the price tag.

Ditto that. A shop I worked for several years back had one. Very easy to use and the grinder is low heat. Makes your shears cut like butter. With the right setup you could offer a sharping service and pay for itself.

I have one similer to this. Not as nice as the one your looking at. You have to have a steady hand because there are no clamps to hold the shears in place. But it does a decent job. The water keeps the stone cool.

http://community.craftsman.com/Craftsman-Utility-Sharpener-review-f092
The review pretty much says it all.

byhammerandhand

January 17, 2012, 02:18:17 pm #11 Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 02:27:34 pm by byhammerandhand
In addition to my shop knives and scissors, I've sharpened all my kitchen knives and also those of two of my daughters.  I think they suggest 10 passes on each side on the medium grit belt and then hone up with two on the polishing belt.   I normally run about 4 or 5 passes and feel for a burr on the opposite side,.  No sense going beyond that.   So really, even with a belt change, it takes about five minutes to run through a rack of knives.

I also have their Worksharp 3000 system that I use for my chisels and plane irons.   It does a great job on them, too.

Anyone remember all those 1960s and before ads:  Make money in your spare time with Foley Belsaw sharpening system?

"Tom, you're 20 minutes late.  I'm docking you an hour's pay!"
"Mr. Smith, you can take your job.  I have a new skill and a new job as a locksmith!"
"You, Tom!   How on earth did you ever become a skilled locksmith?"
"Right here in this correspondence class on Locksmithing.   Now I have a job with great pay!"

Since Popular Mechanics has posted their archive of magazines, I'm surprised all all those "Make big money at home" ads in every issue.  I'm sure a lot of people were suckered out of their money and had useless, overpriced equipment sitting in their garage or basement.

I did a refinishing job for an elderly woman a few years ago.   In one of the pieces was a notebook on how to make big money in the vending business, with handwritten notes on how to pitch it to stores, etc.   When I delivered the pieces there were a bunch of empty gumball machines in her garage.  She told me that she got them installed in a recreation center and the next day they had so many gum wads  on the gym floor, they made her come and take them out.   I  think I'd get depressed having to see them every day when I left and returned in my car.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

How does it do on serrated knives? Do you think I could sharpen the blades on my electric knife sharpener?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

kodydog

Ya know Gene I always wondered how to sharpen serrated knives. I bet with a little skill it could be done.

RocketmanMH1

I sharpen the blades on my turkey foam saw with a chain saw file, works purty good.