Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 05:28:53 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Shipping cost

Started by Mike, January 13, 2012, 03:32:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

There really getting me   ??? I just placed an order. And now I see it $50 just in shipping I'm not surprised at it but come on and my ups driver dose t usualy delever untill late afternoons
I just try to pass it on to the jobs but on a small project it's hard

bobbin

I hear ya, Mike.  It costs a lot to fill up my car and my oil tank(s) and talleying the totals is sobering!

That's one reason I'm really likin' Peachtree bookkeeping.  You enter the numbers and it's all automatically tallied.  You figure your desired mark-up on materials, the shipping fees, utilities, etc. and it's really easy to update your hourly charge for the customer.  Yeah, sticker shock is still there, but at least you're quickly able to pass it on to your customer. 

JuneC

That's one of the penalties of working out of your house also.  UPS/FedEx charge more for residential delivery.  What really kills is when you place an order and it's shipped from 2 or more locations and you incur separate shipping charges for each. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mojo

I am very blessed. I pretty much sole source through MiamiMike and one of the reasons why is because of Miami's shipping costs. The vast majority of materials I order ship from Jacksonville.
My cost is $ 10 per package via Blue Streak Courier service. I just ordered two full rolls of Satler fabric and the guys at the warehouse packaged them together. Two full very heavy rolls of fabric cost me $ 10 bucks.   

There have been a few times he had to ship through Cinci and that hurt, but for the most part I would say 80 % comes out of Jacksonville. These shipping savings have really helped my margins.

Chris

Mike

Rub it in Chris. ;)  I'm too far for blue streak.
I didn't know that June I guessed I make it up on gas and overhead 
I know slot of buisness who work mobile who must have the same trouble.
St my old shop shipping was still getting high though 

sofadoc

It always burns me when I pay over $10 shipping for an item that cost UNDER $20. Many suppliers don't even make the effort to ship small items the most economical way. They just wrap it in a box that is WAY too big, and send it out on UPS, FedEx, or whatever shipping truck happens to be coming by.
The Post Office has some good prices with their "IF IT FITS, IT SHIPS" program. But I know that most suppliers are gonna be too lazy to take packages there. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

The last I knew Mike, June was within Blue Streaks territory. I do not know if she uses them or not.

Bob Kovar told me that many of us residential workers can still get UPS commercial status if we have  a separate door to our shops. I have not taken the time to look into this.

I have a back door to my shop but it is not accessible because of two german shepherds in the yard.  No UPS driver would ever enter our yard. :)

Chris

Mike

they usualy just leavrv it at thje front door chris if im not here. is screened and out of the rain