Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 04:41:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Rubber Baby Boat Bumpers

Started by lamx, August 07, 2012, 04:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lamx

August 07, 2012, 04:31:46 pm Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 04:37:00 pm by lamx
Let me start by saying I am not a boat person. After 21 years in the Navy, I have had my fill of boats and the sea.  However, the project presented to me today looked simple enough and I agreed to take it on even though it is boat-related.  It is a bumper that the boater straps to the dock piling to keep his boat from scraping.

18 inches wide and 30 inches long, construction is a snap, just a sock with some webbing sewn to one side.  Problem is I'm not experienced enough with marine fabrication to know what materials to order.  The owner is no more knowledgeable than I am, all he knows is "these things get wet and they dry out almost instantly". Since they will get wet, I hesitate to use a waterproof fabric, afraid that will trap the water inside.  But I can't seem to find a UV-resistant canvas that is uncoated. 

The foam is only 1 inch thick but very dense. Feels just a little softer than my wife's garden kneeling pad.  Is closed cell foam the answer?

Looking for suggestions for outside fabric and inside foam.  I want these things to last and not come back for repair in a year.

Thanks,
Ed

forsailbyowner

Ahem theyre termed fenders. Bumpers are rubber permanently affixed to docks.

lamx

August 07, 2012, 05:09:06 pm #2 Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:10:10 pm by lamx
I told you I am not a boat person!

Besides, "Rubber Baby Boat Fenders" just didn't have the same ring.

Ed

JuneC

Closed cell foam.  Not sure what fabric the mfg. uses for a cover, but you could use vinyl or whatever, and along the bottom edge, sew in a 1" strip of Phifertex or some other mesh for drainage.  Will there be tides?  Most of these dip in to the water at high tide.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields