Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 05:29:29 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Repreve - upholstery fabric made from recycled water bottles

Started by TheHogRing, January 08, 2012, 05:03:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHogRing

Ford is set to debut a Repreve, an auto upholstery fabric made from recycled water bottles. They say each of their cars is trimmed in 22 bottles.

How about that? Trimming cars in Aquafina!

Check it out: http://tinyurl.com/7kaepqu

kodydog

Neat Hogring. I wonder if that type fabric will be available for in home use also? And what cost per yard will be?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bobbin

I was wondering about price, too, Kody..  I really like the idea of using trash to make something new.  Sure beats the hell out of burying it in landfills!

SHHR

Quote from: bobbin on January 09, 2012, 01:42:30 pm
I was wondering about price, too, Kody..  I really like the idea of using trash to make something new.  Sure beats the hell out of burying it in landfills!

This is a little off topic, but I was watching one of those "how it's done" shows the other day on I think the Discovery Channel. They had a segment on trash. How it is separated at a facility for recycling, then all the remainder going to a landfill. What caught my attention was all the non recyclables after dumped in the landfill and compacted with the dozers was covered up with a layer that they said was ground up car upholstery to hold down the smell and keep predators (like birds) from digging it up before a layer of fresh soil is laid down. then the process is completed over and over.

I was just curious if this material is leftovers from scrap yards that recycle old cars, basically the stuff that the magnets don't pick up or the other non ferrous metals that can't be recycled.

I know, I know, not a very interesting subject. It's just something that caught my attention. Hey, maybe we could start selling our old seat cover take-offs to the local dumps and landfills! I'm seeing big retirement opportunities here! ;D
Kyle

TheHogRing

Not sure about price or whether this material will also be made available for home furniture. It seems that Repreve is a Ford-only product, though its certainly not the first company to recycle water bottles into fabric. Nissan does it as well.

Before it makes its way to suppliers, we imagine auto trimmers will have to try and get some through dealers. That, however, isn't always feasible.

Bobbin - it's really interesting what you mention about using car upholstery as landfill insulation. We were wondering about ways for auto trim shops to recycle their foam and fabric waste. There has to be some real practical uses for it... would love to know the name of the program you saw this on.