Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 04:20:24 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New sewing machine table from computer desk

Started by JuneC, December 29, 2011, 07:02:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

Picked up a freebie today - large computer table that I think would make a super sewing machine table.  Anyone ever built one from the old-style commercial computer desk? ... metal frame, particle board top, looks a lot like this...

http://www.computerdesks.com/computer-desks/rectangular-desks/bushaseries60inchdeskinwhitespectrumpaperandpewter.cfm

The main difference is that the vertical metal sheet under the top (the modesty panel), is about 10 inches or more from the back edge.  It's a big table - probably from the era before flat panel monitors existed.  I think I may have to cut a channel for the motor belt and mount the motor behind the metal sheet.  This could be a GOOD thing as the heat from the motor is a nuisance in summertime.  Just wondering if there are any pitfalls someone may have encountered in this DIY project.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

lamx

There's a lot of difference in weight between an industrial sewing machine and a computer.  My power stands have much thicker particle board tops and even they bow after a few years.  I wouldn't even consider this without first beefing up the top.

On the other hand, if you still use a family machine for some small tasks, like I do, that looks like an ideal sewing machine table for that.

Ed

Mike

thinking the same my tables although particle board are about 2" or 1  1-2".
The little tabs that the machine rest on of if you rout out a section for the hindgy things on the back of the machine would there be enough strenghto the wood left

mike802

A  dozen carriage bolts and two lengths of 1/8" angle iron to span the distance beneath the table top should straighten it enough to carry the weight of the machine.  You would need the tools to cut the steel and drill the holes for the bolts, or have a friend who does, but I think it would make a very good set up.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

Darren Henry

:'( Sorry June;but I have to agree with Mike and Ed that this table is not suited for a sewing machine table. Factor in the placement of the motor/clutch at a spot that corresponds to a readily available "V" belt and figure how long that will take ----.

It would be awesome to put your drill press/grinder/and such on.

If you want a larger table I would suggest you get some tongue and groove 2X6/8 and laminate a new top fop for your old stand. They are available with square shoulders, so no dips etc...

Personally; I have my machine butted up to a table to receive the canvas, and my 3X4' table slides over beside left side of the machine with a a drop leaf that sits under my elbow.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

JuneC

Yeah, I thought it might be too light-weight, but probably the biggest inhibitor is cutting that metal panel.  Probably more trouble than it's worth since there are brand-new tables with K legs, cut for specific machines, on eBay for $99.  I'll either re-purpose it or put it back on the curb for some other person to upcycle.  I'll offer it to my daughter first for the home machine I bought her for Christmas.  It would be easy enough to cut a rectangular hole and add a dropped tray to hold her new Janome.   Might be too big for her apartment, though. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

You'd  have to figure out how to mount a pedal also

Mojo

June. If your looking for a table for a spare machine or whatever,let me suggest this one.

[urlhttp://nickosew.com/details.php?id=324][/url]

I bought this one from these people and was very impressed. The table is rock solid but what I like about it is the casters and being able to move it around. This particular table has awesome casters and wheel locks. I have seen others in the past and they were cheaper / lighter duty. I mounted my Juki on this one and move it around the shop and into the house when I need to use it. Otherwise, because I am limited on space I push it against the wall for storage.

I robbed the pedal assembly off my old K leg table and mounted it onto this new table. The Nick-o table is fully adjustable so you can adjust it up and down.

I still have the K Leg stand and will give it to you if you want it. Let me know. If you decide to buy one of these tables be very careful on purchasing one and get the heavy duty model with the heavy duty wheels and wheel lock assembly.

Chris

Mojo

June:

Forgot to mention in my last post. I made a sewing table for my Tuffsew a few years ago out of an office desk. It worked but it was wobbly as heck. I sandwiched two 5/8ths pieces of plywood together and then routered out the seat area for the machine itself.

My Tuffsew doesn't weigh nearly what my Chandler and Juki weigh and I wouldn't put either of them on that table. :)

Like I said in my earlier post, your welcome to the spare K Legs I have if you want them. The only charge is a Diet Coke next time I am over in your area. :)

Chris

JuneC

Nice legs!  ;D  I DO like the casters for moving it around. Seriously, how'd you position your machine on a top that narrow?  Is there room between the uprights to hold both the machine and motor? Or did you mount the motor on the outside of the right leg?  I have a table setup for my backup machine, but it's so nasty and wobbly I'm looking to replace it.  It has "K" legs, but I guess needs some additional bracing - or replacement which is what I was looking for since most of the table components (knee lifter, light, bobbin winder) are crappy.  The top is totally worn out as well. 
June

W. C. Fields

Mojo

My Tuffsew doesn't have an under the table motor. It has a motor just like the Sailrite machines, which are tiny and mounted on the back of the machine.

The table I bought is very heavy duty and extremely stout. I have seen these portable tables with single center braces and they are not very heavy duty. The picture of the table I posted has dual center supports.

If you go with a portable I cannot stress enough to get the table that has the wheels like in the picture. The locks are on the outside of the wheel versus the cheaper ones which are located on the side of the wheel. These are a PITA to engage and disengage. The wheel with the lock that is on top is large and very easy to lock and unlock.

I love my table. It is so awesome to have one machine I can move around and setup wherever I want. You will need to order a top and pedal/linkage.

Chris

JuneC

Ok, I thought you had mounted your Juki on it.  What I'm really "jonesing" for (you're old enough to remember that word, right?) is that yellow monster that some guy put on the board about a year or two ago.  But I'm quite certain I can't afford it. 

June

W. C. Fields

Mojo

June:

Not to confuse you but I put my Tuffsew on the desk/table I made. The new table I bought a couple months ago now has the Juki on it. That is my back up machine as I prefer sewing on the Chandler. ( Hate those top loading bobbins ). :)

Let me know what you end up doing. Happy New Year BTW to you and the Boss.:)

Chris

bobbin

Ohhh yeah... I remember that yellow table, June.  Drool...