Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:19:07 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fixing Springs

Started by kodydog, December 17, 2011, 05:54:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodydog

Many months back someone asked about fixing springs that were hanging out the bottom of a chair. Normally I would say its time to reupholster the chair and fix the springs the way they should be. That is to reweb the bottom and retie the top of the springs.

Every once in a while I get a customer who just wants the springs stuffed back up into the chair and no matter what I say, doesn't want the expense to do it right.

This customer is 84 years old, shes the mother of a friend of ours and she has more (good) jobs to do. Here's what I do.

This is the mess I started with,

First I striped the old burlap off. When I did I found thin straps holding the springs together with hog rings instead of the usual 8-way hand tied.

Next I 4-way tie the bottom of the springs to hold them in place and pull them down somewhat.

Then I web the bottom and pull everything tight.

Its a neat old chair but could use some TLC.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

bigredneck

Nice post. Thanks for the info.
Upholstery done part time for past 30 years.