Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 06:19:25 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Busy?

Started by CreativeCanvas, December 15, 2011, 05:07:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CreativeCanvas

A wise man once said, "Less I'm sittin behind my machine I ain't makin no money". Think he was right.

Yeah I'm purty busy but what that equates to in my particular case is more driving, more fuel $pent, time wasted, etc.

Not complaining but nowadays it just seems like my profit margin remains about the same whether I'm slammed or slow?

Doug

Mojo

I am swamped and am behind 2 weeks. I have jobs booked out into March. To make matters worse I just agreed to do two seminars for two different RV associations, one in February and another in March. I hate doing them but they are a major source of my jobs through referrals. I just booked my largest awning job ever ( 8 awnings for 1 coach ) for February. This is a luxury bus so I am a bit nervous. :)

It has helped me since I started shipping these awnings. I have shipped awnings out all over the country this year so it has been nice sewing an awning, boxing it up and shipping it out and not having to rely on local work. I am heavy into the 2008 Model year Monaco  coaches at the moment. I am getting several orders for the 2008 coaches.  It appears that it was a very bad year for Carefree Awning as their thread is coming apart. The material ( Sunbrella ) is looking like complete sh*t as well ( it looks 10 years old).

My margins seem to be about the same. I did increase them slightly on solar screens after having a price increase from my Textilene supplier. My competition has also increased their prices which helped me.

Overall I am very happy with this year. It is going to end up being my biggest year since I started and I have to laugh thinking I started in this business a few short years ago as a retirement hobby and to give me something to do in my spare time. 2012 looks to be another banner year but I can see some serious decisions coming down the road. Sell all of my equipment and retire completely after next year ? It could happen. Then again I may do another year. :).

Chris

sofadoc

Quote from: CreativeCanvas on December 15, 2011, 05:07:30 pm
Not complaining but nowadays it just seems like my profit margin remains about the same whether I'm slammed or slow?

Hey, you only have 2 hands. And your body is only so good so many hours in a day. So I understand the feeling.
Many times I've said "I got SO much work to do, that I can't do ANY of it.
One thing's for sure. When I'm slammed, the piddly "Nickel & dime" jobs go to the rear. I don't care if they came in first. I never said that I was running a democracy.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Doug

Seems like my prices stay the same but supplies keep going up.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

gene

As I mentioned before, I now work in a studio, not a shop. Image is important. Beginning January 1, I'll start wearing pants.

I've raised my pick up and delivery charge, and I've raised the price on a few items that I don't do a lot of but I know that it is taking more time than I estimate, such as those barrel back chairs that have double welt cord outlining the fabric panels on the outside and the inside.

I'll never get more money for a job than what I ask for.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

Quote from: kodydog on December 16, 2011, 06:16:53 am

Doug

Seems like my prices stay the same but supplies keep going up.

MiamiMike was saying they had a lot of price increases from the manufacturers. Thankfully those price increases have been small so far.

Chris

Mike8560

It get to a point were you hit a wall with all you can do olut of your shop.
There's only so many jobs you can do but more and more there more cost to do it all.
And do you pass them on and perhaps loose
work? 
Gene  I only own 2 pair of pants the rest  is shorts

CreativeCanvas

From this point on I work out of a studio too. Beth is gonna love it! Heh heh. Think I'll type her a memo ...?

Hear ya KD. I've seen Sunbrella increase by at least 17% in the past couple years. Everything else too. Not always easy to pass that on to the consumer. 'Specially in this economy?

2005 was a stellar year. Thought the money was never gonna end. I thought wrong. Wtf happened? Tbh I consider myself lucky to still be in business. Y'oughta see the amount of vacant sho, er studios round here. It's like a friggin ghost town.

Mike8560

Doug we just had Charley blow through in 2004 and work was everywhere for a long time I had just moved to fl in April and wondered bow busy it was going to be. I didn't get a tayste of normal work at all. 

CreativeCanvas

Quote from: Mike8560 on December 16, 2011, 04:39:17 pm
Doug we just had Charley blow through in 2004 and work was everywhere for a long time I had just moved to fl in April and wondered bow busy it was going to be. I didn't get a tayste of normal work at all. 
Ya Hurricanes are extremely good for the canvas business ...  I recommended folks take their canvas off before & clean up afterward. Naturally nobody listened.

'Member one boat in particular. Had an enclosure connected by common sense fasteners. After Charley all that was left was the fasteners & a few threads.

I saw chain link fences folded flat against the ground. Like they'd been run over by a steamroller. It was really something.

Alls I can say is if Mother Nature's havin a hissy fit it's best to get outa her way ...

bobbin

The fall-out from an early, heavy wet snowfall (Halloween) was incredible here.  Awning damage was great, as was marine canvas damage. 

Not hugely busy in my shop, but I have had some very nice jobs that have lent themselves nicely to photographs, have challenged my range of skills and taught me much in the process.  And I've had the luxury of being choosey, knowing I still have a "straight job" and don't have to "sweat the bills".  In turn, this has allowed me to add tools and supplies as needed.

Interestingly, I've been asked to do a lot of "repair work"; things like relining draperies, reworking window treatments, etc.. I've been willing to do them and that's gotten me work.  I come from a repair background and am good at assessing the required time to do the work and I've been unwilling "talk price" to get the work (stock and time!).  I've also been quite frank about the long range wisdom of relining drapery panels that were horribly sun damaged and suggested that they simply live with them until they're ready to have new ones made, pointing out that there is as much labor in ripping something apart and rebuilding it as there is in starting from scratch with new goods.  My candor was appreciated and I suspect will result in "clean" work next year.  I have also submitted several estimates for work that have yielded nothing in the way of work, but that's life in the food chain!

I suspect the stagnant economy and lackluster returns from Wall St. have colored people's willingness to "split the leather" for work that could qualify as "luxury", although many of my customers are not sweating the oil bills, by a long shot.  Still, they are appreciative of good work and candor and when they want something done, they're willing to pay for it. 

stitcher_guy

I"m still alive and kicking. Been fairly busy all year and not on here very much. I've had a full-time associate since last October, and have noticed a marked improvement in PRO Stitch Auto Interiors. Extra hands that actually have learned what to do, and have an interest in the shop's success sure do make a difference.

We right now are booked up, but not to the point that people are crying, moaning and complaining that they are waiting too long for their projects. We ventured into a furniture this fall and did a swivel rocker with a barrel-type back on it. Turned out ok. I'm not advertising furniture, but the one furniture shop around here that I was willing to refer customers to closed when the owner retired. So, I figure I may as well go outside my comfort zone and get the money off the table for myself.

The biggest change in recent weeks is odd, but effective. I too easily talk myself out of the value of the jobs I complete (I would be my own worst customer and NEVER go to a shop like I own). So, I tell Shane to give the customer a call. He holds the work to the fire (and can also sell ice to Eskimos) and we've noticed our per-job income making a marked increase.

I'm excited for tomorrow (monday). There's enough reserve in our capital that I am taking delivery of a new full-size Grizzly Band Saw. Should help us with our panel construction like crazy.

Mojo

Dang Russ, about bloody time you got your ass on here. :)

That band saw is awesome. I seen it on your facebook page. I try and keep track of what you and Shane
are up to. :)

Glad things are going well for you. Pop on here more often. We miss your input around here.

Merry Christmas to you, the wife and kids.

Chris

sofadoc

What happened to Mike 8560?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

Do you think he's reporting from "an undisclosed location"?