Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:51 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Hot Knife for foam cutting?

Started by Ageorge, December 14, 2011, 01:09:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ageorge

I'm researching some alternatives to my electric knife for cutting foam, and ran across this hot knife on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Knife-Straight-Blades-Case/dp/B0045ZS0XK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2SRNQK144S4KO&colid=2N7DA2RMOUO76
Has anyone used anything like this?

MinUph

I can't imagine it being as good as a foam saw.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Saddleman

Those are for cutting expanded or extruded polystyrene foams not flexible urethane based foams used in upholstery.

CreativeCanvas

JuneC

Keep your eye on eBay.  Sometimes a good deal can be had there...  Or Craigslist.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

Triple ditto.

I couldn't figure out how that would cut furniture foam (polyurethane). It doesn't. This same guy, or company, lists this item elsewhere as a "packaging foam" cutter. Able to sculpt the foam. Yes, it's for polystyrene foam.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fragged8

December 15, 2011, 02:53:52 pm #6 Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:55:31 pm by fragged8
hot wire on upholstery foam isn't a good idea
the fumes will be poisonous

scroll up to the top of the page and click on the text link
that says ' foam cutters $149'

I have  the 8" one about half way down the page
looks like an angle grinder or disk cutter  and its not bad at all
and a bargain if you look at the price of a Bosch cutter.

rich

bobbin

I have the 8" Acu Cutter where both blades move.  I love it.  Worth every penny!

CreativeCanvas

Beth has an ancient "Foam Queen". Single blade. Believe it's 8" but might even be a lil more? I'll try'n remember to measure it tomorrow.

She was using it awhile back when it started shooting sparks. Heh heh. Took it apart & determined the motor brushes were shot. Found some that were close & filed them down to size. Seems to be fine now.

Ya 'styrene' & 'polyurethane' require different cutters?

fragged8

Quote from: bobbin on December 15, 2011, 03:11:20 pm
I have the 8" Acu Cutter where both blades move.  I love it.  Worth every penny!

And we are helping support Ken  ;D which cant be bad

R.A.F. CaNvAs

Didn't notice the the breathing apparatus in the box with the hot knife.
   What's wrong with a panel saw and some elbow grease anyhow,
    ::)