Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

October 09, 2024, 02:29:52 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Curbside junker

Started by sofadoc, December 13, 2011, 02:48:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I know that some of you furniture guys-n-gals frome time to time will rescue a piece from the curb, or dumpster.
Would you grab this one?

The broken leg is actually a "clean break" that is easily repairable.
I left it where I found it.  I might profit nicely if a customer brought it in to me. But if I restored it, and put it up for sale, I would end up settling for much less.
Do any of you take on projects like this one? If so, do you get your desired profit?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I don't unless it is something for us. Selling used furniture is next to impossible. The purchaser would have to like the piece AND the fabric choice which would be rare. Maybe if someone owned a used furniture store it might be worthwhile fixing a leg to sell the piece but putting money into fabric and upholstery I don't believe would be worthwhile.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

bobbin

That is the sort of piece I drool over.  But I wouldn't take it because I don't really have the skill level to repair it myself.  But I think it's super!

gene

December 13, 2011, 03:56:22 pm #3 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 03:58:00 pm by gene
It's got potential. Maybe.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/black%20and%20white%20chair/TheBetsy.jpg

Does this pic change anyone's mind?

gene

PS: Disclaimer - As much as I would love to say this is my sofa, it is not.
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

ibstitchen

It would be hard for me to pass up but I agree it would be hard to sell.

Gene.....That's not my taste....But I love it because it's unique, creative, and fun!! I would like to do more projects like that.

kodydog

Sofa that makes me sad. How did such a beautiful piece come to such disrepair? No way any craftsman could take that, restore it and turn a profit. Not without provenance anyway. Now if the owner told you it belonged to her great great grandmother. Who just happened to be married to the governor of Texas. Then yes grab it.

Funny thing is I've had customers ask for estimates on pieces just like that. They will tell me, "I only paid $300 at an auction." When I tell them it will cost close to $1500 to restore it, they look hurt, almost like I"M the one ripping them off.

Here's one I did last year. No broken leg. Good finish. Had to retie the springs. Can't remember if I replaced any padding but the piece sits in a historic house in Gainesville.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 13, 2011, 05:54:17 pm
Can't remember if I replaced any padding but the piece sits in a historic house in Gainesville.
Nice job Kody. But I've seen furniture  in many historic homes at various tourist destinations over the years that DIDN'T look so good.  Most recently, Ernest Hemmingway's home in Key West. I'm always a little surprised at just how mediocre some of the upholstery is. I guess they're trying to create the illusion that the piece is unchanged from the day when ole Ernest himself sat on it.

Here's one from the Governor's mansion in the Bahamas:

Somebody really should let the air out of those cushions.

ibstitchen

Kody Just beautiful my friend!  Very nice!

Sofadoc I don't think I've ever seen cushions plumped up like that. I can't imagine why they would leave them like that.

kodydog

My guess. Full of political hot air.

Sofadoc "YOU" were invited to the Governor's mansion? Whow!

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 13, 2011, 08:17:15 pm
Sofadoc "YOU" were invited to the Governor's mansion? Whow!
Hey, it's the Bahamas. For 5 bucks, you too can visit the Governor's mansion. For 10 bucks, you can BE Governor.
Here's a sign just down the street:

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on December 13, 2011, 06:46:42 pm
But I've seen furniture  in many historic homes at various tourist destinations over the years that DIDN'T look so good.  Most recently, Ernest Hemmingway's home in Key West. I'm always a little surprised at just how mediocre some of the upholstery is. I guess they're trying to create the illusion that the piece is unchanged from the day when ole Ernest himself sat on it.

The sad thing is most of those tour houses just can't afford quality work or all the work some pieces need. I toured many houses like that in Charleston. The owners live on the second floor and give tours of the first floor. Or they rent for party's and weddings, just to make ends meet.

On the other hand, take a place like the Biltmore Estates in Ashville. They get hundreds of visitors a day and can afford to keep most of their furniture nicely restored.